Realistic Towing expectations

nj~tom

I’ve been looking at a 2012 TRD Sport with 6cyl and a towing package to buy as a utility/second vehicle. I’d mostly use to haul stuff in the bed - like yard debris, mowers, power washers etc between odd jobs and possibly - the bigger ask is to tow 2 HD Electra glide Ultra limiteds from PA out West - like to Wyoming.

I’ve gotten many many varied opinions about the trucks ability to handle the towing. The weight is about 1,000 lbs per bike, maybe 2,500 for the trailer, and some Misc gear so around 5,000 lbs. I have read the truck is rated for 6,500 so that gives me enough weight.

Has anyone actually done this with this truck? I’ve talked myself into the Tacoma, but at least one dealer told me I shouldn’t count on the Tacoma being able to accomplish the towing I’m considering.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

I’ve been looking at a 2012 TRD Sport with 6cyl and a towing package to buy as a utility/second vehicle. I’d mostly use to haul stuff in the bed - like yard debris, mowers, power washers etc between odd jobs and possibly - the bigger ask is to tow 2 HD Electra glide Ultra limiteds from PA out West - like to Wyoming.

I’ve gotten many many varied opinions about the trucks ability to handle the towing. The weight is about 1,000 lbs per bike, maybe 2,500 for the trailer, and some Misc gear so around 5,000 lbs. I have read the truck is rated for 6,500 so that gives me enough weight.

Has anyone actually done this with this truck? I’ve talked myself into the Tacoma, but at least one dealer told me I shouldn’t count on the Tacoma being able to accomplish the towing I’m considering.

Welcome to the forum. It’ll do it but of course it’ll bog down and search for gears more than a 1/2 ton full size would.

You can drag a decently heavy tandem axle trailer with a few quads and all your camping gear up several thousand feet worth of mountain but your not going to be impressed. Lol.

Yeah...I wouldn’t....1/2 tons are like ordering a diet sandwich. Tacoma will tow what you asked. If you want more, there are several selections of diesel trucks that will be full size, get better mileage and rocket up a hill to a point to where you wonder if your gear is still attached. IMHO...

I’ve towed approximately 5000# plus trailer with 2014 Double B6 4x4 for about 20 miles with some hilly curves. On the hills, there was some strain. If you pulling for a long distance, in my opinion, 4000# plus trailer is a good safe limit for the drive train.

I’ve towed approximately 5000# plus trailer with 2014 Double B6 4x4 for about 20 miles with some hilly curves. On the hills, there was some strain. If you pulling for a long distance, in my opinion, 4000# plus trailer is a good safe limit for the drive train.

Thanks for this info. Realistically I’d be doing this type of towing about once a year, most of the time wouldn’t be towing anything.

I tow my camper that weighs about 5000lbs with all the gear. I don’t really have much of an issue. camper has electric brake system. On hilly terrain it search for a gear but all in all I don’t have any complaints.

I tow about 6k lbs in boat every weekend up hills. Installed Firestone airbags for sag and safety. If you know how to drive it the taco will do just fine. Boat dealer and family give me **** pretty regularly, but it works for me. Duel axel and brakes and you should be good. If not, sell it and get a 1/2 ton.

Tow 5700lbs with my 2017, it's been great!. No worse than my old gmc sierra 1500 5.3 litre. I would have no hesitation towing into the 6,000 lbs range as long as the trailer brakes are in great condition. IMG_20180512_1757541.jpeg

Tow 5700lbs with my 2017, it's been great!. No worse than my old gmc sierra 1500 5.3 litre. I would have no hesitation towing into the 6,000 lbs range as long as the trailer brakes are in great condition. View attachment 19243

Thanks. From previous comments I’d started looking at other trucks but was hoping someone had some positive experience - really prefer the Taco.

Thanks. From previous comments I’d started looking at other trucks but was hoping someone had some positive experience - really prefer the Taco.
Yeah I have no problem with the towing ability of the Taco. It won't win any speed races pulling up hill, but I never felt lacking for power either. Use ECT mode and S4 and S5. I have a pretty steep gravel boat launch at the cabin and it pulls the boat up without any tire spin in 4lo, better than my old gmc 1500 - it would spin some, maybe cause the V8 had more torque

at least one dealer told me I shouldn’t count on the Tacoma being able to accomplish the towing I’m considering.

The dealer's recommendation is subject to something called BIAS. They make more money by selling you a more expensive vehicle. They want to convince you to buy a TUNDRA.

5,000# is **NOTHING**, especially since you're towing something that isn't the level of aerodynamic disaster that you'd find in a camper.
I pull DOUBLE that, frequently, with my 4-cyl.
No, its not going to accelerate 0-60 in 5 seconds. But it will get there, and that's all that matters.

Around here with the high traffic and crazy fools on the road towing anything around 5k lbs with a 4 cylinder tacoma would be a death wish, not to mention a accident waiting to happen.

Around here with the high traffic and crazy fools on the road towing anything around 5k lbs with a 4 cylinder tacoma would be a death wish, not to mention a accident waiting to happen.

You imply that the engine has something to do with safety? That's absolutely false. Learn to drive safely and there won't be any problem. In fact, the converse is actually true, if you rely on more power to deal with traffic, then you are tempting fate and really have no business driving at all. There's no reason that a big rig can pull 90,000# with 500 hp (180#/hp) safely and these trucks not *well* over 5,000# with 160 hp (31.25 #/hp).

The engine is only part of the issue in that truck, as its only rated safely to tow 3500 lbs. Obviously you have never towed here in the northeast.

Back