Rear brake shoes.. ughh.. 2011 4X4

it might be a good idea for you to also check for any potential axle seal leak when you have it apart and can inspect back inside there

Good idea and loosening the tensioner so the shoes aren’t slammed against the Drums, thx for all the advice everyone.. just got through completely dismantling and cleaning my throttle body & mass air flow sensor late last night (the older I get the less I sleep LOL 55) got it all back together and sounds great, hoping it improves my fuel mileage like some people say but who knows? Probably do the brakes this weekend or next. Thx again for all the advice everyone.
Maf sensor is a 2 minute job. Cleaning the throttle body will take a little longer. Both easy pezzy. Rear brake durm shoe replacement is more involved. Just take your time, and keep a six pack close by when you start cursing from a skinned knuckle.

@Gregzzz
did you ever get this task accomplished or did ya put it on the backburner todo list?

1670845911128-png.34689

@Gregzzz

FWIW, the pad or shoe limit is 1 mm (0.040 inch). You may just need to clean, remove rust, chamfer leading edge of the pad/shoe, replace any broken springs. My point, you may not need a full on brake job. Downside is you won't know until the drum is removed.

Keeping those rear drums properly adjusted will provide much longer life to your front brake pads. Don't rely on those self adjusters to always work.

Back