Rear Rattle

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by rodkey, May 20, 2017.

1. rodkey

rodkey Active Member

Im getting a rumbly buzzy type rattle coming from the rear of my 2012 Prerunner when I drive on slightly rough pavement ... like slight 'washboards' are the worst ... Anyone have any ideas or suggestions ... ????I have already tightened up tailgate and fender liners may have issues??

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Do you have stock suspension?

4. OP
    rodkey

rodkey Active Member

I believe suspension is stock for 2012 Prerunner ... @89k miles

5. OR17TRD

Might be time for some new suspension.

6. OP
    rodkey

rodkey Active Member

This is not 4wd

7. OP
    rodkey

rodkey Active Member

Im almost thinking its something with those plastic fender liners as I can get something like the same kond of noise by beating on the side of rear fender flares with my fist ... antone heard of probs with noisy fender liners ????

8. OR17TRD

prerunners don't have suspension, that's right... my bad.

longshore likes this.
  9. OR17TRD

You should keep beating on it until it shuts up.
    IMG_1540.GIF

10. OP
    rodkey

rodkey Active Member

I kno thats how I feel ... driving me crazy !

11. OP
    rodkey

rodkey Active Member

Think its something in the tailgate .. still under investigation

12. #NoPanic

#NoPanic New Member

Could be spare tire maybe

billssr5 likes this.
  13. OP
    rodkey

rodkey Active Member

Spare is tight ... as matter of fact Ive been under there pounding around on everything with my fist to try to find a semblance of the terrible rattle ... Could the bed itself be loose?

14. OR17TRD

It absolutely could.

15. billssr5

billssr5 Well-Known Member

i have a certain rattle/jiggle noise with my 2013 when riding over rumble strips or bridges with perforated metal decks Im almost sure its the chain on the spare tire under the bed rattling around.

Bogunn likes this.
  16. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Take the doors off the bed cubbies, and the 2 pockets out of the bed over the wheel wells.... try again.
    May not change a thing, but ive had my pockets fly outta their slots a few times and had to silicone them in place... the doors may rattle if loose back there. If so, tighten screws on the back of the latches

Bogunn likes this.
  17. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

I doubt that.
    No chain, its a cable.... the cable is also wound inside a housing when rolled up, therefore i doubt thats the issue....unless your spare is very very loose. That amount of weight shouldnt rattle like a loose chain tho as its taught cable.

Check oem jack in the back seat.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    billssr5 likes this.