Recommendations for a sort of kayak/canoe rack thing?

AbsurdBuffalo

I've decided that having a couple kayaks or a canoe would be fun when camping. Anyone here have experience with any sort of mounting rack for their taco?

I don't have a shell on the bed, nor do I want one. Ideally, all the camping gear + tent will be in the bed, with a rack of some sort to which I can throw the kayaks on. Like a ladder rack for a work truck, but not for ladders.

Could probably go with a small trailer, but not having a trailer would be easier when we head up logging trails/forrest roads to find a camp spot.

All my camping gear will fit in the bed, mostly below the rail of the bed. I won't pitch the tent in the truck bed lol, I'm taller than my truck bed is long...

So as long as the rack/kayaks don't protrude down into the bed, it should be fine.

Fantastic. I have a bed tent so I was not sure. I bought the tonneau cover low rise Voodoo rack and added the individual kayak steel rails and j kayak mounts: two per rail (front and back). Let me know if you want dimensions. I also added my old bmw bike mount as well. Three kayaks and a mountain bike work well on my short bed Tacoma.

Fantastic. I have a bed tent so I was not sure. I bought the tonneau cover low rise Voodoo rack and added the individual kayak steel rails and j kayak mounts: two per rail (front and back). Let me know if you want dimensions. I also added my old bmw bike mount as well. Three kayaks and a mountain bike work well on my short bed Tacoma.
Is it easy enough to access the bed with the rack installed? Or is it on a sort of quick disconnect setup?

Is it easy enough to access the bed with the rack installed? Or is it on a sort of quick disconnect setup?

Yes, in my configuration, I can easily access the bed through the tailgate without modifications en route.

Anything different depends on how you are configured and what your plans dictate.

In summary...Easy to do.

Let me know if you want to discuss further.

I've decided that having a couple kayaks or a canoe would be fun when camping. Anyone here have experience with any sort of mounting rack for their taco?

I don't have a shell on the bed, nor do I want one. Ideally, all the camping gear + tent will be in the bed, with a rack of some sort to which I can throw the kayaks on. Like a ladder rack for a work truck, but not for ladders.

Could probably go with a small trailer, but not having a trailer would be easier when we head up logging trails/forrest roads to find a camp spot.

I’m not that fancy. I just use bungee cords. 529388903.490082.jpg

Made my own. I had a headache rack already. I just bought a set of ladder racks to chop down and attached my kayak attachments to it. Since the back is the tube style rack, when you slide off the kayak the kayak rack tilts. 20180518_203747.jpeg

I have a Boonedox T bone bed extender. Im having a new topper made right now, that my Yakima rack will go on. But the T bone works real good. I have a 12ft and a 13ft fishing kayaks

If its just One Kayak. Get the Thule SUP carrier! I use it for my Paddle Board and Canoe. Super easy and secure

20180518_203747-jpeg.18393

Good lookin' truck.

Back