roof rack water leak

craig007

hey, I have a 2018 taco trd sport with factory sun roof and roof rack and was just wondering if anyone else is have an issue with water leaking around there oem roof rack, I believe the issue has been happening for awhile as the truck had a small musty smell, when bought second hand, I got in my truck the other night after a rain, put my seat belt on and it was wet, took the scuff plate off on the rear drivers side door and the sound deadening material under the carpet is completely soaked on the drivers side, so I am guessing that the factory roof rack is leaking somewhere or the sun roof drains are plugged, and water run across the headliner and down the b-pillar and soaked the seat belt and the underneath the carpet, I will be checking and resealing the roof racks and checking the drains on the sunroof and I will have to remove the carpet and dry the inside of the truck, anyone else have a suggestion on what maybe happening, or a little trick on how to solve the issue.

thanks in advance for any info

Utube video addresses the issue and gives instructions for install.
Need to use silicone. I was going to, may, purchase the rack and see if I can install myself, but I see that the threads may not line up so then would have to take it to a trusted installer. Not Toyota.

I’ve worked body and paint for 30 years now. Biggest problem I see is cars with factory sunroof will one day leak. Most of the times it’s caused from the drain tubes getting clogged with needles or leaves. The drain tubes usually run down the A pillars. Lots of people when cleaning these out use pressed air. This can cause the tubes to also become detached at the sunroof. 9 out of 10 of the cars that came in to the shop for leaks were from factory sunroofs.
If you Sou use pressed air make sure to reduce the pressure and worst case scenario you’ll need to remove the headliner access the drain tubes making sure they are still attached and fully clean out the channels the sunroof drains attach to.
Good luck

Funny; I just a few moments ago walked out, looked at my truck, and decided a roof rack may be a bad idea because of leaking problems in the future. Also I noticed no place to put a rack on the new composite truck bed. Is that because the bed can't hold up under the pressure of the rack stanchions? Might have to make one with an angle that will be supported by the edge of the bed? Wonder if the edge will support the weight of a light truck rack for light loads. Hope this is a truck for work and not just to look pretty!

update on the water leak- removed the roof racks and seal up with butyl tape and also had a leak around the window, had to have windshield replaced, all water leaks repaired and will be putting all interior back in truck,

Back