Running a compressor off the 120v outlet

PTR91Ron

Does anyone know if you can you run a Porter-Cable 6-Gal. 150 psi Pancake Compressor off the 120v outlet in the bed?

I doubt it. The compressor should have an Amp rating on it. If it's less than 10 you could do it. It'll run your battery down pretty quick so keep the engine running.

I just checked the specs on a compressor matching your description on the Home Depot website and it is listed at 10 amps. The thing is, is that at start-up or steady load? When devices like that start up they draw more current than when they are running and that could be enough to blow a fuse.

You'll definitely be running things on the ragged edge either way and could end up overheating wiring on the truck or the compressor and causing some grief. If it was a company truck, and a company compressor, I would try it. I wouldn't do it with my own gear though.

I doubt it. The compressor should have an Amp rating on it. If it's less than 10 you could do it. It'll run your battery down pretty quick so keep the engine running.

I just checked the specs on a compressor matching your description on the Home Depot website and it is listed at 10 amps. The thing is, is that at start-up or steady load? When devices like that start up they draw more current than when they are running and that could be enough to blow a fuse.

You'll definitely be running things on the ragged edge either way and could end up overheating wiring on the truck or the compressor and causing some grief. If it was a company truck, and a company compressor, I would try it. I wouldn't do it with my own gear though.

Okay, I was tired when I posted this post and it is wrong. The compressor draws 10 amp at 110 volts for 1100 Watts. That would be about 80 Amps at the 13.x volts of your truck. I doubt that circuit on your truck is rated any where near that and even if it was it would wear out your alternator in short order.

Back