Second gen U joints

ae111black

How many second gen guys/gals grease their u joints? And how often also what kind of grease are you using?

I grease mine ofton. Im lucky enough to have a lift available so always have my taco in the air. But I would suggest a grease interaval of about every 15-20 thousand miles, sooner if you drive in absolute extreme conditions such as mud or snow. Any lithium based grease meeting NLGI grade 1or 2 is recommended. I use Lucas X-TRA heavy duty grease to grease the joints..

A year ago I had to replace a bad ujoint, the one next to the rear diff. Its one I could not grease because the zerk fitting was damaged while on the trail. And unfortunately I couldn't remove the damaged zerk to replace it either. Eventually the ujoint wore itself out with not having any grease inside. One day out of the blue while driving home is started to make crazy noises so that's how I knew it was time to replace it. 2nd Gen prerunner tacos don't have grease fittings in their ujoints but can upgrade if replacing a bad ujoint.

Here's the what my damaged worn out ujoint looked like..
2921u1h.jpg

jt7ywj.jpg

2di2g79.jpg

I wanted to piggyback and see if anyone else deals with this. It started yesterday. When I take off the truck makes a metal clunk sound and I'm pretty sure it's drivetrain. Don't think it's what axle wrap is. I think it's u joints then I found this last night on the front most u joint. Anyone know what this is? Taking it to a shop tomorrow but it's really stressing me out. I'll post a picture in a second. It won't let me for some reason

Back