? Serp belt on gen2 4 cylinder...

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 350k on the 0D0
Truck has 77k, it's a 2o11
Dealer recommended belt change at 60k
Perhaps this is the nasty cold weather squeal popping up,?

Dealer wants 280$ for belt service
How challenging is this task to do
What all needs removed for access

It must take good time if dealer has 1.5 hours or so for this task

Idk, but if it's like my 2001 tundra, it's not that hard. It took only 1/2 hr to replace mine. You need a good long wrench for the tensioner to remove, and replace the belt. I didn't have to remove anything out of the way. I think once i found the the wrench I needed it took like 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Idk, but if it's like my 2001 tundra, it's not that hard. It took only 1/2 hr to replace mine. You need a good long wrench for the tensioner to remove, and replace the belt. I didn't have to remove anything out of the way. I think once a found the the wrench I needed it took like 15 minutes.
It looks to me the fan and shroud is in the way up top needs removed?
And the crusty broken plate from underneath?

As tacojoel said....it is not a hard task.

You need simple tools. A breaker bar and a socket. Don't recall the socket size, but it fits on the tensioner. A helper is a pin to hold the tensioner in the released position. Generally, there are a pair of holes to align to accept a pin that will hold the tensioner in the non--tension position.

After that its a matter of wiggling and jiggling to manipulate the belt off the pulleys, then over the fan. New belt goes on the same way. Be sure to follow the belt routing diagram and double check the routing. Verify the belt is completely on the pulleys BEFORE releasing the tensioner.

Allow an hour for an amateur or novice to replace the belt.

Last edited:
On my tundra you needed a long wrench...can't remember the size, but you have to use it to reach the nut on the tensioner, rotating it, causing the tensioner itself to release the tension on the belt. Only then you can get in your hands in there to slip the belt off the pulleys. Toyota usually has a diagram drawn inside the engine compartment how the belt goes on. Be sure to check for any noisy pulley, and tensioner bearings before installing that new belt.

Last edited:
Why does dealer want 90 minutes to do this if it's not difficulty time consuming
It could end up taking I 5 hours or more

Might need to get a new tekton tool for this, a longer, more suitable wrench!
What size is needed to wrench on that tensioner

Try a 14 mm socket. Maybe a 12 mm.

The 1.5 hour labor rate is establish by a Service Manual written and developed by Toyota for Toyota. Most mechanics will figure out a method to use less time than the established SM. This way the mechanic can service more vehicles and make more $$$$.

So, if they can finish a 1.5 hour job in 30 minutes, then they earn an extra hour and can essentially double book the hour. Its all about the $$$. This is not a new practice and has been going for years across every brand.

28-Dec-2o23

bot a better quality 1/2" breaker bar (18") for this task that hopefully is much more precise in its swing swing
whenever that pulley shows up that i orderd over a month ago on the BFCM 48 off sale
also need much warmer than freezing temps to get 'er knocked down if able

as far as the tensioner goes is that thing easy to break? its very costly part to replace if broke it

Last edited:
You must be ordering your parts from somewhere in Japan that its takes you so long to get them. I can go to any of the toyota dealers here, and the most it takes is overnight.
Depends how long the tensioner has been on the truck. Many times they do require replacement.

so now i must call the yota parts department and see which item is causing the delay!

it could just be a big o-ring they are waiting for?!
a total of 39 items were in that cart orderd on 25-Nov :confused:

I have to ask......although I'm afraid the answer might make some sense.......

Why, oh why do you order parts with long back order??????

Many times other sources will have the needed parts with much shorter lead times.

Recently, I needed CV axles. Toyota said 3 weeks, which turned into 8 weeks. I ordered from NAPA on Friday night, the axles were on my doorstep the following Tuesday. So, within 1 week both CV axles were replaced for <$200. Toyota wanted $2000. I figure I can replace the axles 9 more times for the same cost.

the orderform does NOT indicate the lead-time on any parts when adding to cart so IDK

A good online site will have a way to check stock. Or they may indicate "out of stock" on the items detail page.

Worst case......make a phone call. I know you have a cell phone used to taking pics while rolling at various speeds creating a distracted driver situation.

Back