Shifter knobs for 6 speed

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by Carson Craig, May 17, 2020.

1. Carson Craig

Carson Craig New Member

Just got a used ‘16 6 speed tacoma and i was wondering if anyone with a manual has replaced the shifter knob? Where did you find yours, what kind and how do you get the boot to attach. Anything helps THANKS

Cape taco, tooter and Scott Wyman like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

tooter and Scott Wyman like this.
  4. Tape

Tape Well-Known Member

No still using my factory shift knob

tooter, Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  5. B.C.

B.C. Well-Known Member

Can't help you, but welcome to the taco party forum.

tooter, Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  6. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

Welcome to the family.

I've seen knobs on Amazon and EBay. Prices range from $20 to $100. Not sure about the boot issue.

tooter, B-Man and B.C. like this.
  7. Foster Imposter

Foster Imposter Well-Known Member

Shifty.jpg

Welcome! I replaced my entire shifter with the Core shift assembly, but if you just want a knob, there are lots on amazon and ebay as Scott mentioned.
    Depending on which one you go with you will probably need an adapter for the threads on the stock Toyota shaft. The adapter for a Mustang, I think, actually fits.
    The boot just attaches to the shaft with a zip tie on the under side.

8. WasLos

WasLos New Member

9. WasLos

WasLos New Member

10. Tape

Tape Well-Known Member

Hey Foster Imposter, how long did it take you to install that shifter and the difficulty level from 1 to 10.
    Do you have to lean to shift? How much shorter is the factory stick compared to the Hurst?

B.C., Cape taco and tooter like this.
  11. Foster Imposter

Some info: https://core-shifters.com/collections/shifters-for-toyota-tacoma
    The install takes a few hours, more tedious than difficult...there are a few install videos on youtube.
    A few folks claim it only takes an hour or so but my hands are too big to fit well in the small spaces. If you have small hands or know someone that does it would be helpful.
    There is not much difference in shaft height than factory but the shift throws are shorter, more positive feeling and crisper...very satisfying.
    This may not be for everyone because there's a slight more noise (transmission) . Doesn't bother me in the least. I consider it the favorite mod I've done to my truck.

Cape taco, tooter, B-Man and 2 others like this.
  12. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

Very nice Foster!

Cape taco, tooter, B-Man and 2 others like this.
  13. Foster Imposter

Thanks!

14. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

That's what she said not much difference in shifter shaft height! LOL !! Can the grommet idea work for an automatic as well it looks like a similar boot ?

15. Cape taco

The brass knuckles shift knob I like .

B.C., tooter and B-Man like this.
  16. Foster Imposter

LOL, anytime you mention shafts or knobs around here you're leaving yourself open!
    To answer your question about the automatics, I honestly don't know.

tooter, B.C. and Cape taco like this.
  17. Cape taco

I did unscrew mine and it seems like u can put a different one on but I was wondering how to hold the boot up and the grommet trick make work as well. :)

tooter and B.C. like this.