Shocking........OMG

Well I found out more on the lightning strike that blew the fuses out in garage panel, and the ones in my shed I recently shingled. I have two 20 amp circuits going to the shed. One of them has an open underground circuit, as only a portion of my shed was found to have power today. I've got a major job digging up my yard to bury a new cable. On top of it one of my underground drainage pipes has collapsed in an other section of my yard causing my sump pump to backup flooding my basement crawl space every time we get a heavy rain. Going to have to bite the bullet, and hire an excavation contractor next week. I'm wondering what else can go wrong.

Last edited:
Yeah......and the referenced guru isn't doing the work on his nickel nor is he time challenged.

Sorry, my income doesn't grow on trees and 2+ week lead-time is too long. Especially, when rolling in a rental car at $100+/day.

My cost is around $275 for both axles vs nearly $2000. Hmmm......tough decision.
Oh wait. Yes, the lead-time is also factor.
My parts are due Tuesday, 8/15, the Toyota parts are due 8/24. Hmmm.....another tough decision.

I realize these are not Toyota parts. I do believe what I've ordered are quality parts.

FWIW, I have done a part comparison. NAPA axle uses hardened shafts then rolls the splines and threads. Can't say about the metallurgy. Nothing is referenced about the materials used. The axle has lifetime warranty. Toyota.....not so much. Of course, making a claim could be a whole ordeal, but lifetime warranties are not made with little care.

Brembo brakes and pads are known for quality aftermarket products.

ACDelco sway bar links.....another good supplier of aftermarket parts.

No, I did not buy these parts from some slipshod huckster on fleabay.
As far as brake pads, it's hard to beat the toyota ceramic ones. Last ones I bought were $75 for a combo of the pads and new caliper retaining pins.
My experience with lifetime warranties hasn't been all that good. When they claim lifetime....is it theirs, or yours?

Joel, put that burried cable in a 2" conduit. If you have a problem again, it's a snap to pull the old cable out and pull a new one through. I had several customers that wouldn't take that advice the "first" time.

Joel, put that burried cable in a 2" conduit. If you have a problem again, it's a snap to pull the old cable out and pull a new one through. I had several customers that wouldn't take that advice the "first" time.
I already had planned to. The old direct burial one has been there since the house, and shed were built....1970's.

Sparks plugs $160? Just the plugs? I was quoted over $400 for a sparkplug change.
I don't even want to know what the toyota dealer here charges for a v6 spark plug job. The guys have gotten like the mercedes, and bmw dealers.

GLA!
Is it that involved to do that task?
How buried are they?
The plugs are not buried very deep. The 1GR-FE (4.0 L V-6) passenger side is under the intake plenum. But easy access. Driver side is a bit tighter due to a few brackets to work around.

I did the plug change at 109,xxx miles in about 1 hour. It cost less than $40 for all 6 with tax. So, $120+ labor on plug change for less than 1 hour of work.

To think, I thought dog groomers were insane at $1/minute.

@tacojoel

After you run the new cable. Install new grounds too. Around here the code requires 2 rods 6 feet long. 1st rod within 4' of the service entrance, the 2nd within 6' of the 1st rod. Both driven into the ground minimum 12" below the surface.

We just upgraded our service from 100A to 200A and placed the incoming cable underground.

@tacojoel

After you run the new cable. Install new grounds too. Around here the code requires 2 rods 6 feet long. 1st rod within 4' of the service entrance, the 2nd within 6' of the 1st rod. Both driven into the ground minimum 12" below the surface.

We just upgraded our service from 100A to 200A and placed the incoming cable underground.
My shed already has 4, 8' ground rods driven in at each corner with a perimeter heavy duty ground cable attached to them after a major lightning strike hit the shed years ago. Neighbors have referred our area as thunder alley. Right now, it's raining again pretty steady. There's no way anything can be done till the yard dries up. This has been the rainiest august I could ever recall, you'd normally expect it in april and may.

Last edited:
Huh??

I was directing to a gen3 there
As far as changing plugs in the gen 3, it looks fairly easy on the passenger side, but the driver side you're going to need to move some bs aside to access some of those plugs. They don't look a whole lot deeper than the ones on my old tundra v8. So you need a longer ratchet/socket extension...big deal.

Back