Smart Watches

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by OR17TRD, Jun 4, 2020.

1. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

What smart watch are you using?
    I may be in the market for a new one.

Ive owned a Fitbit charge and charge 2 and got an Ionic for a gift 2 years ago. It’s been a great watch. I’ve never had any issues with it. I have recommended it to many people. Even on this forum.

Last Sunday it just went dark. It just turned off. I was able to do a hard reboot on it and charged it up to 100%. I then went into the app and updated it to 35.70.7.27 Later that day I hit 10,000 steps and it alerted me like it does. I had 95% battery life. About an hour later I went to look at what time it was and the screen was dark, it would not turn on. I tried the hard reboot again and it didn’t work.
    I called customer service and they had me go through trouble shooting. After they couldn’t fix it they offered me 25% off to buy a new one.
    I went to the internet and it seems like the update bricked my Ionic. Basically Fitbit just stole a $250 watch from me by making it useless from their update. Many people are saying they are having the same issue. I guess google is in the works of a deal to purchase Fitbit. All I can think is Fitbit just killed hundreds of watches to increase revenue by offering 25% off a new watch. Crazy to think a company would do that. I have not had any issues with this watch up to this point and it was in excellent condition.
    I’m hoping they make it right. If not I’m going to be looking at new smart watches.

Scott Wyman, tooter and B-Man like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Well that blows. I'll try to remember not to update my Ionic.

I was actually into Pebble watches until they were bought out by Fitbit.

Scott Wyman, tooter and OR17TRD like this.
  4. OP
    OR17TRD

Now google is working on buying Fitbit.

Bogunn, Scott Wyman and tooter like this.
  5. sjoh527

sjoh527 Well-Known Member

Between Google and Amazon small tech has no chance

6. sjoh527

I’ve used it all. Fitbit, Samsung, Garmin, Motorola, UP (RIP) and now Apple. And I’ve found I really like Apple’s watch. I was a die hard android fan for 10 years and I made the jump 2 years ago and tbh if it wasn’t for the watch I would have probably gone back to android. That being said for those who have android and don’t want to make the switch I feel like the Samsung Gear was my second favorite followed closely by the Garmin Fenix line.

7. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Sucks because the big companies all want to look the same while a small company tries being different.

Bogunn, B.C., Scott Wyman and 3 others like this.
  8. sjoh527

That or their sole goal is to be eventually bought out.

Edit: speaking on small company front

9. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

I've had a Fitbit Versa for almost two years and have had no issues. My next one will likely be a Samsung Gear.

B.C., tooter and B-Man like this.
  10. OP
    OR17TRD

Don’t update it. I’m reading that a lot of the older versas are going dark after this update.

11. Scott Wyman

I updated it last week. Is there a new update that's killing them?

B.C., tooter and Jersey Black Beauty like this.
  12. OP
    OR17TRD

You might not of been effected. It’s version 70.7.27 that’s blasting them. They came out with a 70.80.0 that fixed it. Maybe you got lucky and got that update.

B.C., Scott Wyman and tooter like this.
  13. Tape

Tape Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this is a dumb watch considering what I paid for it, but hey it keeps great time.
    Rolex.JPG

Bogunn, B.C., tooter and 4 others like this.
  14. sjoh527

Hey there’s still nothing quite like a good old fashioned Watch. I still rock my Citizen most days.

Bogunn, B.C., Tape and 3 others like this.
  15. OP
    OR17TRD

I have multiple analog watches. They all still work just fine. They don’t help track activity, vitals and sleep :(

B.C., Tape, sjoh527 and 2 others like this.
  16. Scott Wyman

The problem I have with many analog watches is there are no numbers on it so I never know what time it is.

Tape has a nice Rolex, but I'm not good with Roman numerals so I would struggle with the time on one like that as well.

My fitbit tells me exactly what time it is. Screenshot_20200606-083220_Fitbit.jpeg

B.C., Tape, tooter and 1 other person like this.
  17. B.C.

B.C. Well-Known Member

Timex with no gadgetry...

18. tooter

tooter Well-Known Member

keeps on ticking and takes a licking...every thursday. hehe

Scott Wyman, B-Man and B.C. like this.
  19. B.C.

B.C. Well-Known Member

;) ;) ;)

Scott Wyman, B-Man and tooter like this.
  20. Tape

Tape Well-Known Member

Who needs gadgetry? Just a about every other thing we own has gadgetry:D

sjoh527, tooter, B.C. and 1 other person like this.
  21. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I wear an Apple Watch but have used Garmins too. I also have a citizen “smart watch” that moved the second hand to the type of notification.

Scott Wyman, tooter and B.C. like this.