Smell from A/C

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by QSTaco, Jul 5, 2017.

1. QSTaco

QSTaco Member

Has anyone else experienced a bad smell when you shut off your A/C and run the fan.
    I talked to Toyota they are saying that is common in some models and they haven't got a fix for it.
    Any other vehicle that I've owned never had this problem.
    Stagnant water sitting in the system. It will go away after running the fan for 5mins or so, but I was wondering if there is someone that has a fix for this other than running the fan and getting blasted with a horrible odor.

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

I get it sometimes too. It's caused by mold.

Bojangles likes this.
  4. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

If i have been running the ac, before i pull in the garage, i run the fan for the last couple blocks to avoid the smell getting worse.
    Change the filter as needed, and keep doing the fan trick

5. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Mold where? Just wondering.

6. whippersnapper02

Evaporator box. The condensation can build up in there and cause mold growth.

7. OR17TRD

Isn't the moisture suppose to drain out. Maybe there is a clog?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  8. dwayne.surrat

dwayne.surrat Well-Known Member

Have you changed your cabin filter?

OR17TRD likes this.
  9. OP
    QSTaco

QSTaco Member

No not yet picked up the vehicle on May 25th of this year

10. OR17TRD

Grapefruit seed extract in a water mixture will kill and prevent mold. It doesn't smell. 10 drops of GSE to 8oz of water. If you want smell add other essential oils to the mixture. Lavender, orange, peppermint etc.

QSTaco likes this.
  11. OP
    QSTaco

QSTaco Member

I do get the moisture draining out but obviously not all. Could be clogged

12. whippersnapper02

Could be a small clog but it also could be a design flaw. You can remove the hose from the evaporator box and blow it was air or use a pipe cleaner. Don't blow air into the box.

QSTaco likes this.
  13. OR17TRD

14. OP
    QSTaco

QSTaco Member

I'll have show this to the tech when I take it in for my first service. As of lately I haven't noticed the odor but can't hurt to clean out the evaporator.
    Thanks for the info.

OR17TRD likes this.