Snow performance

KennyF

I have driven my Tacoma twice in snow. The second time..., I had to put in 180 lbs of weight in the back... Even with this...miss my Silverado!

Hmmm, strange.. I went from a GMC Duramax to the Tacoma. The GMC would get stuck in 2" of snow, yet this year, we have a foot and the Toyota is doing great! Now, the real shocker is my wifes Lincoln MKX AWD. This is our first winter with it and it will go where the Toyota slips and slides! Im impressed, but I also plan to put my fiberglass shell back on the toyota tomorrow

I know the BFG T/A KO's have good reviews in the snow. Otherwise if you really want good performance get a set of snow tires.

I've had no problems in the snow and this is my truck's second winter. First winter I had the dunlops and had no problems. This year I have AT3's and so far so good.

Just traded my 09 GMC Sierra Crew Cab for a 10 TRD Crew Cab and couldn't be happier in the snow. It handles WAY better than my Sierra.

ABS increases stopping distances in slippery situations. It is a proven fact. Go record a 60 to 0 on the street and then do it again on dirt.

What does ABS do? It prevents wheel lockup so you can steer away from an obstacle. Shorter stopping distances is a side effect.

What happens in slippery situations? Higher chance of wheel lockup therefore you have less braking power going to the tires since ABS is taking all away to prevent lockup.

Last edited:
First good frozen mix this year. I have fresh set of new tires and tested vehicle performance:
- TRAC engaged at times on acceleration and provided correction
- ABS engaged during braking
- 12/32" tread depth made good road surface contact in 1-1/2" sleet and the next storm in 3" snow
- MPG went from 21 to 18.5 with 4x4 engaged during use of 2 refuels
- Fog lights proved valuable during white out conditions

Two things would make the drive nicer:
- heated side mirrors
- outside temperature indication

Overall good performance

I see plenty of snow up here in NH and have driven many vehicles in it. I've only had my Tacoma for 3 weeks but I've driven in 3 snow/sleet storms with it so far and I'm impressed. Even in 2wd in light snow it's exceeded my expectations. The TRAC works great and I truly believe ABS saves your ass more often than not and I've had both ABS and non ABS vehicles. In 4wd it's been fantastic. I only have the stock Dunlops on it too which haven't been bad at all. Can only imagine this thing once I have BFG at's on it!

About the ABS, I blew into an intersection by half a truck length on a snow packed road the other day! I was taken back by this because it didn't appear to have been needed as I frantically pumped the brake saying wtf!
Regardless yesterday was a white out again and it helped me from sliding but that first time was I think uncalled for! It's minus 19 Celsius here today and I'm liking my Tacoma with the stock Dunlops although my Dakota fitted with Goodyear Silent Armours tracks firmer! Heated side mirrors should be standard AND non LED Rear Tail lights should be fitted stock because LED does not melt built up snow like plain candescent bulbs do. After a drive home at night in the snow my tail lights are completely buried in snow thus the possibility for a rear end collision is imminent! Who dreamt up led tails must never see what they do in winter conditions!

Attachments

• 1386979436117.jpg
    1386979436117.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 35
Back