So much hate for these trucks/3rd gen compared to 2nd gen

rippsgt

I have a 2017 trd off road. I think it drives great. transmission shifts are pretty firm. Power seems the same as the 2nd gen to me. Everyone acts like it smokes the 3rd gen. I love the new Tacoma. I don't understand why it gets hate maybe only from 2nd gen owners. We get it the engine changed. The new engine I have no problems with.

IMG_8918.jpg

I wouldn't know anything about the 3rd gens but all the stuff I read I think I'll wait several years before I even consider purchasing one.. For now I'll stick with the tried and true 4.0 !

3.4L V6, 190 horsepower, 220 lb-ft of torque great... 4.0L V6, 236 horsepower, 266 lb-ft of torque great 3.5L V6, 278horsepower, 265 lb-ft of torque great
Its not the engine people are complaining about....rust... leaks... recalls... TSB's every gen has their issues...
by far and always the best mid size truck on and off the road!!
Generation after generation after generation!
Tacoma for ’16 sure a new design with a 3.5L D-4S direct- and port-injection technology, but it's not new, the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ sports cars have it.
The Atkinson-cycle engine feels different than any engine I've ever road behind. I am getting the hang of it. It's been a learning curve for sure. But... It's growing on me. And...
It's still the sexiest Gen ;)

I have a 2017 trd off road. I think it drives great. transmission shifts are pretty firm. Power seems the same as the 2nd gen to me. Everyone acts like it smokes the 3rd gen. I love the new Tacoma. I don't understand why it gets hate maybe only from 2nd gen owners. We get it the engine changed. The new engine I have no problems with.

View attachment 12125
Welcome to the forum.

Agreed the Atkinson cycle motor takes a little getting used to. But otherwise I've had gen ones, twos and a gen three now.
Every vehicle has their problems and all the Tacomas have had their share of issues. But like OR17TRD said it's the best mid size truck on the road for sure.
I'm loving my gen three.

So I see they used a trd sport wouldn't that be a different rear end and affect it off the line. I know not by much but it could forsure.

Same ratio on all V6 auto models (3.909) with the manual V6 having a 4.30 ratio.

The new truck fails because the lack of low end torque due to the smaller displacement and the torque management built into software to save the drivetrain. However, the new truck could possibly pass up the 2nd gen if you had a long enough run because of the higher peak power. Both will reach their speed governors before that happens though. In the end, Tacomas are slow.

Same ratio on all V6 auto models (3.909) with the manual V6 having a 4.30 ratio.

The new truck fails because the lack of low end torque due to the smaller displacement and the torque management built into software to save the drivetrain. However, the new truck could possibly pass up the 2nd gen if you had a long enough run because of the higher peak power. Both will reach their speed governors before that happens though. In the end, Tacomas are slow.

Well don't the sport have a open diff. I know they are not the same. They did use a trd off road on the 2nd gen if I saw right

Well don't the sport have a open diff. I know they are not the same. They did use a trd off road on the 2nd gen if I saw right

They all have an open diff with the exception of the offroad which is open until locked. Toyota hasn't used a mechanical limited slip in the Tacoma since 2008.

All V6 ratios were 3.73 on the 2nd gen.

For the 3rd gen, the ratio is the same on the across the packages on the auto V6 but is different if you get the manual V6.

View attachment 12125

Nice truck!!

I have a 2016 SR5 4x4, I sold my 2000 Tundra TRD 4x4 to buy it. Initially I was concerned about the lurching while idling and trying to move the truck, it seemed like I would hit the cars around me. But my service manager gave me some good advice...be sure to warm the engine up, then it won't lurch. Good advice since two of the most important things that you can do for a long living engine is to change oil as directed and warm up the engine. So I've found that by letting it warm up, even if I've just been in the store for a while, letting it idle while I check texts, greatly reduces the lurching.

This truck is made very well, drives on and off road very well, tows well, and looks very nice. It doesn't have to be about one gen/model being better than another, just stick together and say that Toyota trucks rock! Be united, rather than stabbing fellow Toyota owners. As said, each gen has had its issues. Also, my trans fluid level was good, I even have the tow package, and my differential doesn't leak. The Ford F-150 has its own issues as well...

I have a 2016 SR5 4x4, I sold my 2000 Tundra TRD 4x4 to buy it. Initially I was concerned about the lurching while idling and trying to move the truck, it seemed like I would hit the cars around me. But my service manager gave me some good advice...be sure to warm the engine up, then it won't lurch. Good advice since two of the most important things that you can do for a long living engine is to change oil as directed and warm up the engine. So I've found that by letting it warm up, even if I've just been in the store for a while, letting it idle while I check texts, greatly reduces the lurching.

This truck is made very well, drives on and off road very well, tows well, and looks very nice. It doesn't have to be about one gen/model being better than another, just stick together and say that Toyota trucks rock! Be united, rather than stabbing fellow Toyota owners. As said, each gen has had its issues. Also, my trans fluid level was good, I even have the tow package, and my differential doesn't leak. The Ford F-150 has its own issues as well...

I agree!! I bought gen3 in March and have almost 15,000 miles. Had zero issues and I use my truck from interstate driving to city roads to some minor 4x4 every week. Transmission is a little "key word little" picky at changing at times but it's not expected to be the "perfect" truck.

Back