Spark plugs

Just turned over 64,000 miles on my 2017 Tacoma 3.5l V-6. Service manual says they should be replaced at 60K?? Anyone have this service done??
Had the dealership change mine at ~52k.
Couple hours and less than $200, pretty sure. I ran all over town one day trying to find NGK or Denso iridium plugs but ended up at the dealership. Their price didn't seem unreasonable to install them so Gordo and I walked to have lunch... haha

That one spark plug that had a good bit of deposits makes me wonder if that cylinder is using a bit of oil. It used to be in an engine that used a carburetor that you would get a lean or rich cylinder because fuel distribution changed over different rpm ranges. Since the truck is fuel injected, I would look towards leaking valve seals or an injector with a bad spray pattern. The plug isn't wet, so it was firing.

An old rule of thumb from Champion spark plugs was that if you changed to an extended reach plug from a standard plug, you advanced your timing by 2-3 degrees because the flame front began deeper in the combustion chamber. It also stated that for every .001 change in plug gap, you retarded your spark by 1 degree.

A cylinder balance test and vacuum test would give you the answers fast.

The only issue I have had after the plug change is my traction control and check engine light have came on. Just went out before I got the truck to the dealer. I am guessing it's some bad gas? or the cap was not on tight.

The only issue I have had after the plug change is my traction control and check engine light have came on. Just went out before I got the truck to the dealer. I am guessing it's some bad gas? or the cap was not on tight.

After two trips to the dealership, turned out to be the intake booth that connects the air box to the engine was loose?! Easy fix.

I have a 2010 Tacoma with a 4.0 and I have about 149,000 miles. I have never changed the spark plugs. The truck is running good. I seen a thing where it says you should change the plugs about every 30,000 miles. So do you think I should change the plugs now or wait till I have a miss.
If their just the cheap $2 apiece ngk, or denso resistor plugs that require replacement every 30k miles....Change them.

I had 124,000 on my trd 4.0 with no issues. Just put the Denso TT in today after reading all the comments on here. Fired right up with no apparent issues. They all looked dry and a little corroded.

Last edited:
I guess I'm fortunate.

I will change at 30,000-mile intervals. Plugs cost about $5/ea at the Toyota dealer. Cheaper than the auto part store. An easy change on the 1GR-FE engine for about 1 hour of my time. So, cost is $30 + tax and 1 hour of my time. Or $0.001 per mile.

Consider, a plug will fire about 1,000,000 times in 1000 miles. If your engine is a "lost" spark, then it fires about 2,000,000 times for every 1000 miles.

Overvall, a set of plugs every 30K is less expensive than the oil changes in that mileage interval.

I have a difficult time justifying extending service intervals beyond recommendations. The cost of a breakdown is magnitudes more expensive.

Like the ol' saying "Pay me little now or Pay me more later."

spark plugs for the '11 single cab are no longer available
i don't get it!

i think this is the engine model?

TOYOTA TACOMA TRN240L-TRPDKA​

They said the same on my 2001 tundra. Instead I was give these plugs with fine needle like electrodes instead. They worked fine.

this Gen2 truck has almost 70k miles and still on the 12yr old plugs afaik

perhaps they can use some new ones?

Last edited:
Back