SR5 or TRD?

wood714

I'm looking at new access cab Tacoma's. Whats the difference between a SR5 4X4 and the TRD with the off road package?

I know as far as price it's around $2K difference.

Toyota's website lists all the differences. The main differences are the rear locker, ATRAC(4wd) and slightly uprated suspension.

Last edited:
Trd offroad does not mean 4wd, so if you need 4wd go with 4wd. I have a trd offroad prerunner and have only gone offroad for work, and it gets the job done, but im also not going deep in the woods or a mud bog. Sometimes its also possible to get a 4x4 trd offroad, which would be best of both.

I have to have 4 wheel drive for the beach, so that's not an option. I was just wondering if it was worth the extra $2K between a SR5 4x4 or the TDR off road.

I have a Jeep now, but travel a lot. It's OK for around town, but is kinda rough on a 13 hour drive.

If you just drive the beach then you will be fine with the SR5. But again the website outlines everything. It was worth it for me to get the offroad package but it may not be for you.

Jeep owner? Then think of it as a soft version of a Rubicon (TRD) vs an X or Sahara (SR5).

Last edited:
SR5 Extra Value Package:

• V6 Tow Package 21: Class-IV towing receiver hitch, transmission (automatic transmission only) cooler, engine oil cooler, 130-amp alternator, heavy-duty battery, 7-pin connector with converter and Trailer-Sway Control (TSC) 22 [TO]
  • Entune™ Audio Plus includes the Entune™ 2 Multimedia Bundle (6.1-in. high-resolution touch-screen display, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port 3 with iPod® 4 connectivity and control, advanced voice recognition, 5 hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming via Bluetooth® 6 wireless technology), SiriusXM Radio 7 with 90-day All Access trial, HD Radio™, 8 HD traffic and weather in major metro areas [ED]
  • SR5 Extra Value Package: Power outside mirrors, remote keyless entry system, cruise control, variable intermittent windshield wipers, chrome grille surround and rear bumper, color-keyed front bumper and overfenders, fog lights, sliding rear window with privacy glass, bucket seats with driver lumbar support, SR5 fabric trim, metallic-toned instrument panel trim, leather-trimmed steering wheel with audio controls and shifter, dual sun visors with mirrors and extenders, tailgate-handle integrated backup camera 1, SR5 badge [SL]
TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package

• V6 Tow Package 21 for Off-Road Package: Class-IV towing receiver hitch, transmission and supplemental oil coolers, 130-amp alternator, heavy duty battery, 7-pin connector with converter, Trailer-Sway Control (TSC) 22 [TW]
  • Entune™ Audio Plus includes the Entune™ 2 Multimedia Bundle (6.1-in. high-resolution touch-screen display, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port 3 with iPod® 4 connectivity and control, advanced voice recognition, 5 hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming via Bluetooth® 6 wireless technology), SiriusXM Radio 7 with 90-day All Access trial, HD Radio™, 8 HD traffic and weather in major metro areas [ED]
  • TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package: Off-road-tuned suspension with Bilstein® shocks, electronically controlled locking rear differential, 16-in. alloy wheels with P265/70R16 BFGoodrich® tires, VSC 12 + A-TRAC in place of standard VSC 12 + TRAC with HAC and DAC, engine skid plate, front tow hook, 115V/400W deck powerpoint, fog lights, power outside mirrors, remote keyless entry, cruise control, variable-speed wipers, chrome grille surround and rear bumper, color-keyed front bumper and overfenders, sliding rear window with privacy glass, Sport water-resistant seats with driver lumbar support (passenger-side fold-flat feature delete), metallic-toned instrument panel trim, leather-trimmed steering wheel with audio controls, leather-trimmed shifter, dual sun visors with mirrors and extenders, backup camera 1, TRD Off-Road graphics [OC]
TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package with options

• V6 Tow Package 21 for Off-Road Package: Class-IV towing receiver hitch, transmission and supplemental oil coolers, 130-amp alternator, heavy duty battery, 7-pin connector with converter, Trailer-Sway Control (TSC) 22 [TW]
  • Entune™ Premium Audio with Navigation 9 and App Suite 10 includes the Entune™ 2 Multimedia Bundle (6.1-in. high-resolution touch-screen with split-screen display, AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port 3 with iPod® 4 connectivity and control, advanced voice recognition, 5 hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming via Bluetooth® 6 wireless technology), HD Radio™, 8 HD predictive traffic and Doppler weather overlay, AM/FM cache radio, SiriusXM Radio 7 with 90-day All Access trial [EE]
  • TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package: Off-road-tuned suspension with Bilstein® shocks, electronically controlled locking rear differential, 16-in. alloy wheels with P265/70R16 BFGoodrich® tires, VSC 12 + A-TRAC in place of standard VSC 12 + TRAC with HAC and DAC, engine skid plate, front tow hook, 115V/400W deck powerpoint, fog lights, power outside mirrors, remote keyless entry, cruise control, variable-speed wipers, chrome grille surround and rear bumper, color-keyed front bumper and overfenders, sliding rear window with privacy glass, Sport water-resistant seats with driver lumbar support (passenger-side fold-flat feature delete), metallic-toned instrument panel trim, leather-trimmed steering wheel with audio controls, leather-trimmed shifter, dual sun visors with mirrors and extenders, backup camera 1, TRD Off-Road graphics [OC]

We have the SR5 4x4 with value and power package. Have been extremely happy with ride and performance. Just took an 1600mi roundtrip small vacation with 2 dogs. Definitely agree make the first criteria 4x4 if you can. It's one of those options that you wish you had when you need it.

Pretty happy with my 2014 SR5. Only wish I had the hood scoop. And the upgraded Entune package.

I have the 2011 TRD SPORT 4WD Short Bed. Came with 265/65/17, dumb. Put 265/70/17 on it. Good for sand and excellent for off road. The SR5, I noticed, also seems to have a different interior as well. The ride will also be smoother with the SR5 vs. the TRD.

I got the SR5 4X4 cuz I new I was replacing the shocks, springs & struts as soon as I got it home (OME). I figured what is the point of paying for some low level bilstiens when I would get rid of them anyway. I can (and will) buy a rear locker. The TRD is good if you're not changing anything.

I got the SR5 4X4 cuz I new I was replacing the shocks, springs & struts as soon as I got it home (OME). I figured what is the point of paying for some low level bilstiens when I would get rid of them anyway. I can (and will) buy a rear locker. The TRD is good if you're not changing anything.
Haha ya I agree. I bought a TRD and replaced everything right away. But it was a good deal and the interior was a little nicer.

Hey I had the option with both. I chose the trd offroad because it had the sr5 package with it. The trd sport would have as well. Good luck with which ever you pick, just matters what you wanna shell out.

Is it safe to say: if you are going to need a locker and atrac that you are planning to do some serious **** . A SR5 4x4 is already a very capable as it is and is a perfect platform for upgrades as you need it other wise if you don't mind shelling for the extra dough for the TRD. Sometimes I regret getting the off-road TRD as I hate to pull off good parts Rhat I paid extra for. Now I have the modding bug, it really kills me to waste good money.

I appreciate everyones advice and opinions. Thanks! Maybe down the line when Im making more money, I might opt in for a TRD 4x4.....maybe. Lets change gears (no automatic pun) and let me ask this... where should I look for bull bar. Ive seen many on the road. Looked at Auto Anything but I didn't see anything that catches my eyes. Any leads out there?

Last edited:
I have a sr5 4x4 and ive yet to run into a time i needed the locker, that doesn't mean you wont need it. Ive been through a decent amount of mud and sugar sand on the way to the fishing spot but it all depends on what you want out of it. If its for offroading by all means get the trd but if you will only be offroad occasionally then sr5 n save a few thousand

Go taco or go home.

Back