Steering problem

Barry J

I have a 2008 DC , What symptoms tells me my power steering pump is going??
Right now the past two days, the steering is getting stiff, and seems to get worse the more I drive it.
I topped off the fluid, but does not seem to fix problem
I'll spray lube the shaft joint tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.
But how to I check the pump???
There does seems to be a slight noise under the hood, ticking
And what should I use to lube the steering shaft
Thanks Barry

If it's making noise and ticking it's probably the pump. Have you tried changing the fluid?

I'm staring to have the same problem. Stiff steering with no noise or signs of leaks. Just noticed it on my way to work. It has been one of the coldest days this year (0 F). The power steering fluids is topped off and clean???? I believe 05 onward have problems with the u-joints and shaft connecting the wheel to the power steering unit???

I sprayed the u-joint with spray lube. It has gone away for now. I'll keep an eye on it and lube at every oil change.

I have had this issue also at the end of winter. Sprayed the u-joint and it was back to normal for a couple of months. Now it's binding again. Has anyone replaced the intermediate steering shaft? I'm guessing that's my next option.

I have also sprayed the u-joint with lube. 603 Taco... I'm having the same problem

I f you look on youtube (ErictheCarGuy) did a video on how to replace this part using a 4-Runner. Looks like a rough job. He had to use an air hammer to get the shaft off the power steering rack. I'm wondering if their is a better was to replace this part?/

I was going to check out you tube before I replaced it. I was under my truck spraying the u-joint with lube, It is a tight area to work in for sure. I have air hammers ect., I'm going to check it out a little more closely before I dive in. I haven't done front end or steering work in a long time.

No problem... I was thinking about replacing this part. The lube works.. However, Mine looks really rusty from the road salt/ winters up here in NE Pennsylvania. Even If I replace this part, I'd give it a light squirt of lube at every oil change.... just to keep the rust at bay.

Second.... You might be able to get a quality replacement from a salvage yard located in a part of the country that does not have harsh winters. The damm road salt ate the frame of my 2002 Tundra SR5 :((( I really miss that truck!!

Definitely going to change it out one weekend I have some time. The spray lube seems to keep it free for now. Ill probably buy a new one, I know I'm not going to want to have to do it again. Lol. I'll try to update when I get it changed.

Back