Strange noise under hard acceleration

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by ssmalley41, Sep 12, 2017.

1. ssmalley41

ssmalley41 Member

I need some help. I noticed today that under hard acceleration there is a strange clunk or rattle coming from somewhere under the truck. It's a 2013, 4.0, 4x4, double cab, automatic with around 75,000 miles. It's bone stock, no mods. I've seen a lot of stuff about driveshaft noise, but this is not a constant noise. I get the noise briefly when accelerating hard up to 40mph, and only on or after the initial downshift. After that, it seems normal. Any info at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

I'd check U bolt torque. It should be 75 ft lbs.

4wd likes this.
  4. OP
    ssmalley41

ssmalley41 Member

Thanks!

5. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

I think I'm understanding... you take off from a stop with constant acceleration and as soon as you let up you hear a clunk happen. You notice no clunk at the immediate acceleration or during acceleration only when you let off the peddle after reaching your desired speed. Is that right?

6. OR17TRD

I'd do what whippersnapper02 suggested. I'd also check the tranny fluid, diff fluids and grease the zerks. If you have never done a fluid flush on any of those I would suggest doing them.

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  7. whippersnapper02

Definitely zerks.

8. OP
    ssmalley41

ssmalley41 Member

No, immediately after pushing the pedal down. No noise after let off.

9. OR17TRD

Acceleration from a stop transmission makes one hard clunk with the first to second gear down shift and then normal driving after that. And it's only when you accelerate hard. I'd do all of the above stated if it hasn't been done and see how it operates after that.

10. whippersnapper02

Might also be the slip yoke. You can't service it without puling the entire shaft out though.

11. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

:cool:
    You go Nancy

Bogunn and whippersnapper02 like this.
  12. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

That’s why he has all those trophy points!

Bojangles likes this.
  13. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

service with a smile

Bogunn likes this.
  14. OP
    ssmalley41

ssmalley41 Member

I checked underneath today. U joints seem ok, but there is a ton of radial play in the carrier bearing.

15. whippersnapper02

Normal. It's not a solid mount.

4wd and Bogunn like this.
  16. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Just a note to those inquiring, it would help TONS if any audio/video can accompany the description of noises made, I know one guy on another forum had complained that when he started truck it would make a "clang with a constant knock that changed with rpm, he posted up short vid & within 15 sec. of play it was clear he was about to have a rod come thru the block, point is there's no substitute for being there & next best thing is audio/visual help...

Bojangles likes this.