Tacoma Front DIFF ADD

Rmoore66

I have a 2018 Tacoma that I changed the front diff 4wd module on and After I replaced the module I switched it into 4wd and it stayed. It would only go back into 2wd unless I turned the truck off then back on. I can’t figure out why its staying in FWD and will not go into 4low.

Last edited:
Ok.....got me confused.

You replaced the 4WD control module. Now, the truck will shift from 2WD to 4WD High. But will remain in FWD (Front Wheel Drive)???? Will not shift to 4WD Lo.

A couple of points to remember when shifting the Transfer case (2, 4H, 4L). I think the Manual Trans has a slightly different sequence.
1. Must be less than 60 mph to shift 2 to 4H or 4H to 2.
2. Must be less than 5 mph to shift from 4H to 4L or 4L to 4H.

Can not directly shift from 2 to 4L, Must engage 4H first.
FWD (Front Wheel Drive) doesn't exist on these trucks. Either 2 wd (rear wheel) or 4 wd (all wheels)

3. If the indicator light on the dash is flashing, then the transfer case has not engaged.
3a. Cure: Slow down, give the system a moment or 2 to complete the shift.
3b. Do not try to shift directly from 2 to 4L. Wait for 4H to engage, indicated by a solid indicator light.
4. Review the Owner's Manual for more complete details.

Couple of final points.
The shift will not happen until the gears in the Xfer case are aligned. Sometimes a slow idle forward or reverse will help the alignment of gears so the shift can complete.
The AWD (All Wheel Drive) systems have different operation due to the design and gearing. Tacomas do not have an AWD system. They have a Part-Time 4 Wheel Drive system.

My wife's '19 Honda CR-V has an AWD system (I don't like it), There are many cars equipped with AWD.

Ok.....got me confused.

You replaced the 4WD control module. Now, the truck will shift from 2WD to 4WD High. But will remain in FWD (Front Wheel Drive)???? Will not shift to 4WD Lo.

A couple of points to remember when shifting the Transfer case (2, 4H, 4L). I think the Manual Trans has a slightly different sequence.
1. Must be less than 60 mph to shift 2 to 4H or 4H to 2.
2. Must be less than 5 mph to shift from 4H to 4L or 4L to 4H.

Can not directly shift from 2 to 4L, Must engage 4H first.
FWD (Front Wheel Drive) doesn't exist on these trucks. Either 2 wd (rear wheel) or 4 wd (all wheels)

3. If the indicator light on the dash is flashing, then the transfer case has not engaged.
3a. Cure: Slow down, give the system a moment or 2 to complete the shift.
3b. Do not try to shift directly from 2 to 4L. Wait for 4H to engage, indicated by a solid indicator light.
4. Review the Owner's Manual for more complete details.

Couple of final points.
The shift will not happen until the gears in the Xfer case are aligned. Sometimes a slow idle forward or reverse will help the alignment of gears so the shift can complete.
The AWD (All Wheel Drive) systems have different operation due to the design and gearing. Tacomas do not have an AWD system. They have a Part-Time 4 Wheel Drive system.

My wife's '19 Honda CR-V has an AWD system (I don't like it), There are many cars equipped with AWD.
Sorry..I meant it stays in 4wd not front wheel drive. You can hear it engage into four drive at a stand still. The 4wd light stays on blinking

Last edited:
If the light is blinking, then it is not fully engaged. The light will stay on constantly when fully engaged, no blinking.

Try idling forward while the light is blinking. The movement will allow the gears to align to complete the shift.

Back