Tacoma vs jeep

Bartzy15

Bartzy15
I was at truck meet today , I saw a bunch of jeep owners doing their usually putting ducks on jeeps. What do Tacoma owners do ? If nothing maybe start lol

I was at truck meet today , I saw a bunch of jeep owners doing their usually putting ducks on jeeps. What do Tacoma owners do ? If nothing maybe start lol
Greetings from Texas Bartzy15,
And welcome to tacomaforum.com. I promise ya, you will gain a lot of valuable information from some great people here. I've never been to Wilkes Barre but I hope to see that part of the country in my travels soon. As a former jeep owner of a 2020 jeep wrangler sport JL, the salesman told me all about the ducks in the windshield and the "hand-wave". Didn't see a lot of ducks in other jeeps and about half of em actually wave to each other when passing. Hated driving my jeep so I sold it. I tried the hand-wave to other Tacoma owners with mixed results. A true taco lover sees another fast approaching and will return my wave but for the most part, people just don't pay attention to other drivers. So to answer your question, I simply don't know. I just smile and keep on truckin. ;)

My daughter has a wrangler and loves her little ducks. It's cool for her, but I would never have them in my jeep if I had one. The jeep wave thing has been around as long as I can remember. From what I've seen so far with Tacomas, we just park by each other.

Only jeep I ever owned was what I learned to drive with. I had a used beat up 1966 cj5 in 1970, that blew the 3 speed transmission towing another jeep that was stuck, plus the rear differential failed later in it. I sold it in 1971 for a used 1966 gto that I built into a modified production drag car. The jeep was fun to drive when it was working.

Ducks on Jeeps started as a chick thing. Then a bunch of younger jeeping males fell into line. Sadly, old jeepers like myself mourn the day when the CJ was replaced by the YJ and all of the succeeding wannabe Jeeps.

Since all of th kids seem to think it's important to post when they bought a Jeep, and some when they started hating them, I'll post when I bought mine. "82 CJ-8 Scrambler bought new. Here's a shot of it's first outing all those years ago.
83m8nOy.jpg

Ducks on Jeeps started as a chick thing. Then a bunch of younger jeeping males fell into line. Sadly, old jeepers like myself mourn the day when the CJ was replaced by the YJ and all of the succeeding wannabe Jeeps.

Since all of th kids seem to think it's important to post when they bought a Jeep, and some when they started hating them, I'll post when I bought mine. "82 CJ-8 Scrambler bought new. Here's a shot of it's first outing all those years ago.
83m8nOy.jpg
Ya know Don, I love jeeps as well but how many times has Jeep attempted to turn a jeep into a pickup truck only to stop making them after a couple of years ? Off the top of my head I remember the willys-overlander, the Commando, the Scrambler, and now the Gladiator. Yet the Toyota pickup truck / Tacoma came to the states in 1964 and has been here every since. Why ?

Yea, "Willy's" did make the Overland. But the "Jeep" Commando was more a shot across the bow of the stationwagon. The two CJ versions were the CJ-6 a stretched CJ-5 and the CJ-8 a stretched version of the CJ-7.

The CJ-6 came out during a period when Jeeps weren't all that popular. While the CJ-8 came out during a time of higher popularity, Jeep never exceeded over ten percent of the production on any year, and usually much less. The CJ-8 really wasn't a pickup, though Jeep called it one, and I've been paying higher licensing fees ever since. What hurt the CJ-8 was the fact that Ford released the Ranger and Chevy the S10 about the same time. They were "real" pickups.

The Unlimited (the one with two doors) was a later nod to the CJ-8 and were fairly popular. While the current Gladiator is just a new version of the original Gladiator which was a pickup with some Jeep styling.

Jeeps two "real pickups" the Honcho and smaller Commanche were good vehicles but couldn't compete with Ford or Chevy for sales and were discontinued.

So Jeep has had quite a few "pickup" models. I think the reason the current Gladiator sells so well is that it harkens back to the Hummer H-3.

Yea, "Willy's" did make the Overland. But the "Jeep" Commando was more a shot across the bow of the stationwagon. The two CJ versions were the CJ-6 a stretched CJ-5 and the CJ-8 a stretched version of the CJ-7.

The CJ-6 came out during a period when Jeeps weren't all that popular. While the CJ-8 came out during a time of higher popularity, Jeep never exceeded over ten percent of the production on any year, and usually much less. The CJ-8 really wasn't a pickup, though Jeep called it one, and I've been paying higher licensing fees ever since. What hurt the CJ-8 was the fact that Ford released the Ranger and Chevy the S10 about the same time. They were "real" pickups.

The Unlimited (the one with two doors) was a later nod to the CJ-8 and were fairly popular. While the current Gladiator is just a new version of the original Gladiator which was a pickup with some Jeep styling.

Jeeps two "real pickups" the Honcho and smaller Commanche were good vehicles but couldn't compete with Ford or Chevy for sales and were discontinued.

So Jeep has had quite a few "pickup" models. I think the reason the current Gladiator sells so well is that it harkens back to the Hummer H-3.
Gotcha. But will the Gladiator stick around this time to compete with the Tacoma ? I say not.

Ya know Don, I love jeeps as well but how many times has Jeep attempted to turn a jeep into a pickup truck only to stop making them after a couple of years ? Off the top of my head I remember the willys-overlander, the Commando, the Scrambler, and now the Gladiator. Yet the Toyota pickup truck / Tacoma came to the states in 1964 and has been here ever since. Why ?
I like Wranglers, but I really wanted a Tacoma. I have had wranglers in the past and they were fun. I drove my daughters 2022 Rubicon (2 doors) on the beach last summer and it was really fun. They do have a particular feel to them.

Ya know Don, I love jeeps as well but how many times has Jeep attempted to turn a jeep into a pickup truck only to stop making them after a couple of years ? Off the top of my head I remember the willys-overlander, the Commando, the Scrambler, and now the Gladiator. Yet the Toyota pickup truck / Tacoma came to the states in 1964 and has been here every since. Why ?
My boss had a 67 jeepster commando. I don't think I need to tell anyone what a pos that thing was.

Back