Tail gate lock

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by dwayne.surrat, Sep 1, 2017.

1. dwayne.surrat

dwayne.surrat Well-Known Member

I have the tail gate lock on my truck and it didn't want to unlock today. I used the key to hold the key hole open and strayed some wd 40 in it and it unlocked has anyone else had problems with these locks ?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Pop n lock?

tacotuesday07 likes this.
  4. OP
    dwayne.surrat

Yes been on the truck for a few years now

5. whippersnapper02

I'm on my second one after 7 years. They are built cheap but spraying some dry lube like Tri Flow will keep it healthy. I spray the latches, rods where they go into a plastic retainer and the lock mechanism itself every so often. I probably should again.

Bogunn and dwayne.surrat like this.
  6. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Same 1 for about 8or9 yrs now... fingers crossed.

7. whippersnapper02

My handle broke on the last one because the mechanism locked up. It always felt like it was going to snap at any moment. This new one with Bolt technology feels a bit better.

Bojangles likes this.
  8. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Its always felt like a gummybear holding up an rf7.

The best thing i found to do besides lubricating parts is to push the tailgate in a lil while lifting the handle. It doesnt require much pressure on the gate, but the handle operates much smoother.

I know 1 day ill be phucked withbit locking up and a bed cover locked from the inside.... till then, fangers crossed

Bogunn likes this.
  9. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Time to get the drill out.

Bogunn and Bojangles like this.
  10. OP
    dwayne.surrat

Yeah I'm in Texas and we just had the storm come through every thing has been wet but not the truck just the water in the air. It's working good for now. I have never lube it or anything else so that may have been the reason

11. Tacomaholic

Tacomaholic Well-Known Member

I've never had mine not unlock but it does tend to stick a little if it's been sitting in the sun on a warm day.

12. Wolvi

Wolvi New Member

Mine just won’t unlock. You can insert the key and turn it but won’t let the tailgate open. When I put it in lock position the tail gate hatch won’t move but when I put on unlock. The tail gate hatch just feels as if it loose.