Take a look at this frame

kamonjj

Hello, I had a 2007 Tacoma that ended up needing a new frame because of the recall. I'm interested in purchasing a new Tacoma but am afraid of the same issue.

Here is a 2010 Tacoma that I was thinking of driving 2 hours each way to look at. The frame looks like it could be starting to rust through. The salesman states it's surface rust.

I'm not as concerned with the rust on the sub frames as I am the frame itself. The frame looks to me to be bubbling from the inside out.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

I wouldnt trust a dealer if he said "it's just surface rust". My advice look for another Tacoma elsewhere.

It looks like somebody did a crappy job of painting over the rust. I wouldn't drive across the street to look at that thing much less a 4hr round trip unless it was a great price and I had factored in the cost of repairing the rust properly. Get the VIN and have a see if it is subject to the recall. Then you could get a new frame for free if the recall transfers to second owners.

I don't know dude....that looks like full out frame cancer to me...I'd keep looking

Maybe old sliders got taken off and they didnt seal the mount points well so it rusted.

The frame recall does transfer as it is specific to the vehicle. Already looked into it...on my 05, I am second owner.

If this is color/Miles/equipment truck you want at a decent price, make a road trip out of it. If you don't like what you see, don't bring it home. At least you got a road trip out of it. I've driven twice as far before and came home empty handed. But I get that road trips aren't everyone's cup of tea.

My 2009 Tacoma has about the same or maybe more surface rust. My truck has logged 177,000 miles on NE Pennsylvania roads (Poconos) and they use lots of road salt. I even put the truck up on ramps at the local car wash and power wash the frame during winter warm spells.

My previous truck (2002 Tundra) has frame rust issues and the local dealer took the bed off and sprayed he frame with undercoat. I had tons of "check engine" lights and stalling problems after this treatment... the local dealers, mechanics and even a local trade school could not find the problems???? Anyone have issues like this with a Tacoma frame replacement???

Back