Temp sensor issue

Discussion in '1995 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma' started by cw4Haskins, Nov 28, 2019.

1. cw4Haskins

cw4Haskins New Member

New here. Thanks for adding me. I am trying to find out if anyone else has had this happen. My wife has a 1998 Tacoma, 4cyl, 4x4 5 speed with 102k miles. It sat for a year or two unused and when she finally started it again, the temp gauge pegs out after running for 2 minutes. Bought a laser temp unit to check actual temp after 2,minutes running and block reads 170 to 180 at hottest. Any ideas as to why the gauge would peg so quickly? It goes from cold to pegged out all at once (not slowly creeping up). Thanks for the help/experiences.

Dave

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

It's either the sender unit or the gauge itself. If you have a multimeter you could test the sender unit's resistance when the engine is cold and during the warm-up. If the resistance suddenly jumps, replace the sender. Otherwise it is the gauge. I don't recall a gauge ever needing to be replaced in my 60 years of cars and trucks.