The clunk is back!

freighter72

I had my 2016 Taco in the dealer because I would get a clunk as I would stop at stop lights/signs. The dealer kept my truck for two days. In those two days they topped off my trans that was over two quarts low and ran a software update. For almost 8 months my truck ran great (except for the lunging in reverse). Well yesterday, on my way to work, I stopped at the end of my street and there it was.....KLUNK! It did it a few more times on my 35 mile trek. Has anyone else had their klunk come back or perhaps never go away?

2017 DCLB OR I get the axel wrap more when it’s cold out. In the summer it went away. Its back now.
If your trans fluid was that low I’d call corporate and get an 8 yr 125k mile platinum VSA with a 0$ deductible.

Last edited:
2017 DCLB OR I get the axel wrap more when it’s cold out. In the summer it went away. Its back now.
If your trans fluid was that low I’d call corporate and get an 8 yr 125k mile platinum TSA with a 0$ deductible.

I didn’t know we could get an extended coverage for the low trans fluid issue. Thanks for the heads up. Do I contact corporate through their web site?

I didn’t know we could get an extended coverage for the low trans fluid issue. Thanks for the heads up. Do I contact corporate through their web site?
I called and got a case manager and talked them into giving me one due to all the issues and I planed on keeping my truck forever. I was worried it wasn’t going to last and I’d be stuck paying for things that broke that should have lasted. I wanted the warranty to insure I wasn’t going to be responsible for Toyota’s lack of care when it came to the transmission fluid, differentials and any other parts.

I had my 2016 Taco in the dealer because I would get a clunk as I would stop at stop lights/signs. The dealer kept my truck for two days. In those two days they topped off my trans that was over two quarts low and ran a software update. For almost 8 months my truck ran great (except for the lunging in reverse). Well yesterday, on my way to work, I stopped at the end of my street and there it was.....KLUNK! It did it a few more times on my 35 mile trek. Has anyone else had their klunk come back or perhaps never go away?

The "clunk" you describe sounds like classic axle wrap... & sorry about the low trans fluid , quite a few left manufacturing that way...

I called and got a case manager and talked them into giving me one due to all the issues and I planed on keeping my truck forever. I was worried it wasn’t going to last and I’d be stuck paying for things that broke that should have lasted. I wanted the warranty to insure I wasn’t going to be responsible for Toyota’s lack of care when it came to the transmission fluid, differentials and any other parts.

Perfect. I agree that Toyota should be responsible for future issues due to lack of Q.C. At the factory. Thanks for all the info. I wish I knew about this forum before I bought my truck.

That’s why I bought the manual tranny

I wanted the TRD off-road in the access cab. They didn’t offer it in a manual trans. Canada has it as an option but would not sell me one in the states. I offered to pay sticker plus but they said it was a call from Toyota not to sell Canadian trucks to customers in the United States. At least that is what a dealer in Calgary told me

Back