Thinking about some speaker options...

EricTheRed

Pantless...
I've already decided I'm getting a set of Kicker KS69's for the front, but I'm still somewhat unsure of what to do for the rear. Has anyone had any experience with the Kicker 6.5" shallow mount sub? Based on the dimensions, it should fit in the rear doors of an access cab. I'm just wondering if doing away with the rear speakers and replacing them with a pair of tiny subs would really screw up the sound stage in the truck. I refuse to go with any traditional kind of sub box as I need to maintain as much space as possible in the cab.

...also, how difficult is it to manufacture your own speaker rings? I'll likely be using plywood as it's probably not as prone to disintegrating if it gets a little moist like MDF would (over time). I'd really rather not order anything from TacoTunes since I don't feel like paying the inflated shipping prices up to Canada.

Thanks all!

Ive heard guys using the old speaker as a spacer just cutting out the basket and using the ring.

Ive heard guys using the old speaker as a spacer just cutting out the basket and using the ring.

Yeah this works good. Except I've run into problems with this method before by having the speaker sit out too far. Depends on the speaker, but you may. Have to do some serious hacking to get it to work. But it works great. I used MDF for mine and haven't had any issues with them in over 3 years.

Just to clarify my post... I bought a 6x9 to 6.5 conversion plate (I forget where from though) so I could mount my 6.5 components in the front doors. They are about 1/4" thick and made of what appears to be abs plastic. Work great! Also included tweeter mounts to install aftermarket tweeters in factory location. Also work great.

The rear door have OEM 6.5" speakers but I had 6x9s so I cut the hole larger. Doing this caused the magnet to hit the glass, so I used 3/4" MDF to build a ring spacer for my 6x9s. They fit perfect now. The are siliconed to the door and covered in dynamat though, so maybe that's why I have had an issue with moisture :notsure:

You can see pictures of all this in my build thread. (Click sig pic for link to build)

Hope this helps a bit.

Back