Thinking of a 2021 or 22 Tacoma.

Tacoma95

Ok I havent had a truck for a while and ive really missed the utility of having a bed, Ive had both the Tacoma and Frontier in the past loved both but when I was working I needed a little better MPG and sacrificed the bed for better MPG for well about 11 or 12 years. Currently have a Subaru.. driving over a mountain for work made it well the gas was racking up.. Now im retired and not driving nearly so much and im also doing much more around the house where a bed would again be useful im looking. Right now im looking 21-22 Tacoma in a Pro of some sort TRD Sport, TRD Off road or TRD Pro im also looking at the 22 Frontier Pro4X.

In the past ive had the original 95 Tacoma and a 1999 and 2007 Frontier.. all were utterly reliable

So im here to get info on the Tacoma 21-22 Specifically ive already ruled out the smaller trucks (Maverick,Santa Cruz) and the new Ranger. The one thing looking Toyotas ive found is heated seats.. why are they so hard to find a truck with them lol? its the only make I keep having to move off one that looks almost prefect till I see no heated seats..

What gives with that are they only part of some package?

I think the biggest things I want are

4x4
heated seats
hopefully push button start and or remote start
Automatic
Do these years have any models with LED lights or is that not available on 21-22 the Tacoma
Power seats
decent miles on it say nothing over 35K

and of course any info or suggestions you have as I havent owned a Tacoma since 1995 lol Standard cab 5 speed stripper model with no AC and roll down windows.

Hate to say it, but the Nissan pro4x is a better truck than those 3rd gen tacos. A friend of mine has one.
With the 3rd gen taco, it's hit, or miss, hoping you get a good one. I was lucky ordering a sr5 access cab built in texas back in 2020. Best truck owned to date. Now they're all assembled in mexico.

Hate to say it, but the Nissan pro4x is a better truck than those 3rd gen tacos. A friend of mine has one.
Its fine I just wondered to be able to give myself more options im gonna look at the 22 GM twins also ive just liked the Frontier and Tacoma in the past owned both had ZERO issues with both

I eliminated the Ranger just because I dont know wth happened to Fords reliability but its tanked so I took them off my list

The post covid tacos aren't as reliable either. Imo, toyota's qc isn't what it use to be, yet they sure know how to hike prices.

Ridgeline is ok if you only travel improved dirt roads.
Mostly in all my 4x4/AWD trucks/suv ive had ive never had a need to use 4low. Worst ive been on is old logging trails they turned into a road to get down to some fishing spots...id not want to try them with a car(you often see exhausts and mufflers laying beside the trail from someone that decided they wanted to take their Honda Accord or Toyota Camry down to the fishing spots.. but my 2020 Forester tackles it no problem..

For me its more use of the bed and having either AWD or 4x4 for the north east winters.. not really going any hardcore off road. I just realized that there are a lot of things id like to be doing around here if I had a bed to do it with I really cant do in a SUV for example im not gonna go down and put a load of wood for Spring/Summer/Fall campfires out back of the house IN my Forester I tried that once just throwing down a tarp and folding the rear seats down.. I was picking bark,dirt,spiders,out of my car for the next 2 months after doing that. Learned my lesson..just because it can be physically done doesnt mean its a good idea lol. with a bed I dump the wood,redrocks,mulch in and when dont i spray it out...simple..

I live off an older town dirt road that only recently has been improved. Years ago it was funny...my cousin has an older Ridgeline that he use to visit me to go fishing on the lake here. One day while coming over, he tore off his exhaust system going down this road when it was as bad as I've seen it. He was pissed. After that he has always asked how the road is before showing up.

I live off an older town dirt road that only recently has been improved. Years ago it was funny...my cousin has an older Ridgeline that he use to visit me to go fishing on the lake here. One day while coming over, he tore off his exhaust system going down this road when it was as bad as I've seen it. He was pissed. After that he has always asked how the road is before showing up.
One reason the Ridgeline isnt at the top of my list is exactly that. My 2020 Subaru Forester is just a regular model those all have at least(Forester, Outback, Crosstrek I believe at least 8.7 I believe the Wilderness models have 9.2 or 3 i believe. When I saw Hondas truck ride height and I saw it started with a 7 not a 8 I was like wtf.. even in their SUPPOSED off road model it adds skid plates but no ground clearance... thank God because with 7.6 " of clearance youre gonna bash the hell out of those plates lol/ They get the Ground Clearance of SHAME for a truck with AWD IMO.. even the little tiny maverick has more.

The minimum a truck with AWD should have is 8.5

right now my list pretty much goes

1a. Frontier
1b. Tacoma
3. Ridgeline

If the ridgeline had 8.7+ even 8.5+ id probably have already bought it. I just have a issue that it sits a 1"+ lower than my current SUV

Well I love my 2020 taco, and wouldn't replace it anytime soon with the nissan, but unfortunately I've seen some others of the 3rd gen just not up to the same performance. Gotta be at least one reason why a large natural gas line installation company here has gone to all new frontiers in their fleet. One big plus with the toyota is resale value that one can't deny.
Imo, the biggest issue the taco has is frame rust if you live in the salt belt. Hopefully thats now in their past for the 3rd gen using higher tensile strength steel.

Gen2 resale value appears to be dropping
Gen1 values keep on rising
Wonder why?

I haven't heard anything here about gen1 tacos resale rising. Like any older vehicle of any model still in decent shape with low mileage, you need to find a buyer willing to pay the asking price. That could take months. Most gen1's here are already in the scrapyard due to excessive rust, and many gen2's aren't far behind them. Hoping the gen3 won't follow the same format.

Here’s Why The First Generation Toyota Tacoma Is A Living Legend​

Outlasting anything on the road, the first generation Tacoma pickup helped cement Toyota’s reputation as one of the most reliable car makers

PUBLISHED JUN 3, 2023
By Victoria Troia

With the premiere of the new 2024 Tacoma, Toyota's volume producing mid-size truck is now on its 4th generation. The Tacoma was first introduced in 1995 and since then has developed a reputation for its best in class reliability with a long history to prove it. Almost 30 years have gone by and the Tacoma nameplate has established itself as the Michael Jordan of midsize pick-up trucks; there is no competition.

Just look around, and you will see just as many of them on the roads today as there were back in the mid-90s. The legendary Japanese truck has survived all these years, thanks to its durable powertrain and massive frame recall. With over a million trucks produced it may be no surprise that there are more Tacos on the road than there are taco shops in East Los Angeles.

The First Generation Toyota Tacoma Was In Production For 10 Years​

1711589601910.png

Toyota was already producing a small pickup prior to the introduction of the Tacoma. By 1995, the Toyota truck without a name now needed one, which led to the Japanese automaker naming it after a city in Washington. The newly named Tacoma retained the light and rigid boxed frame of its predecessor, while adding refinements along the way. The first generation Tacoma took on a few design facelifts in its 10-year span from 1995-2004, prioritizing function over form.

With the 4x4 curb weight under 3,900 lbs, the Tacoma was light enough for any off-road obstacle. All 4x4 models came with a mechanical transfer case rather than an electronic one like It's Ford and Chevy competitors. Mechanical components hold up better with wear over time. This may seem like a minor difference, but when it comes to off-roaders, owners want to confidently select 4WD knowing that it will engage when they need it.

First gen Tacomas were offered with three body types, regular, Xtracab and double cab. The latter was offered in 2001 to compete with the Chevrolet S-10, adding a full size back seat while compromising bed length. The Tacoma offered more ground clearance and better payload ratings than the Chevy. Thanks to its efficient 3.4-liter V6 compared to Chevy's monstrous 4.3-liter V6, the Tacoma was lighter than its American competitor while maintaining the same 190 hp. It's shorter length, taller ride height and lightweight chassis all contributed to the Tacoma's off-road success.

The first gen truck also offered a 2WD Prerunner trim that kept the same height and ground clearance as 4x4 models. The Prerunner could even be optioned with a rear differential locker and Bilstein shocks, found on the TRD Off-Road package. This 2WD model was called the Prerunner because it was designed to run the off-road courses prior to the other more capable trucks. The rear diff locker was a nice additional touch for buyers who don't need the added weight of a 4x4 but could use the locker to get out of some sticky situations.

1711590493964.png

Whether you opt for the 4-cylinder or V6, manual or automatic transmission; the first generation Tacoma will be the most dependable truck you will ever own. When a manufacturer chooses multiple engine and transmission options there's usually one that is worse than the other; not with Toyota.

The first gen Tacoma could be purchased with a standard 2.4-liter, 4-cylinder on 2WD models. There was the 2.7-liter four banger with more horsepower and torque for Prerunners and 4x4 models. The 4 cylinder has an overbuilt cast-iron block increasing the strength of the engine. Lastly, there was the already mentioned 3.4 liter V6 producing the highest output.

Both the four speed and manual transmissions have had a reliable history. The 4-cylinders were driven by a chain, the V6 was belt driven but not an interference motor. The 4x4 models with the manual take the driver back in time when the shifter and transfer case almost shared the same boot space.

The first gen Tacoma could be had in many configurations, which makes sense because options and trim packages is what set this truck apart from the start. Like the new 2024 Tacoma with its eight different trim choices, the Taco was always a truck designed to be tailored to your specific needs. More importantly, it was always going to run and get you places you needed to be on or off pavement.

Toyota's Reputed Reliability Is Why They Cost More Money​

1711591185871.png

Many enthusiasts call it the Toyota tax, meaning you're always going to pay a premium for a truck with a Toyota badge. Now some say that could be due to its extraordinary reliability, but many automakers have produced reliable trucks. The real difference with Toyota is that they will go above and beyond to keep their customers satisfied.

Toyota will go to great lengths to ensure their customer base is satisfied with their product. Besides just recalls like most manufacturers, Toyota also creates customer support programs. The programs are intended to inspect cosmetic and mechanical concerns that consistently show defects or a lack of quality.

For example, Toyota began inspecting frames on their first gen Tacomas and third gen 4runners since they share the same platform. The reason was due to the amount of complaints they received of frames rusting out due to the box frames retaining water and delaminating over time. The frames on their trucks would have so much perforated rust that the trucks would snap in half. Rather than blame it on inclement weather and salty roads, Toyota took ownership and did something unprecedented. They inspected thousands of trucks and replaced their entire frames with new ones, free of charge.

This two day job cost the company millions of dollars, but what it did for Toyota long term far outweighed the dollar amount spent. The Japanese automaker cemented itself as a company that will have your back throughout your ownership experience. Combine that with their exceptional reputation for reliability and Toyota has every reason to fetch a premium for their products over other brands.

The company continues to offer customer support programs until this day. Toyota's luxury brand Lexus, agreed to replace sticky dashboards in the past. Toyota recently contacted customers regarding a high pressure fuel pump leak they will replace to alleviate a fuel odor on most of their current models. These are all examples of Toyota's commitment to satisfy their customer base. It extends into its mission to "attain customers with high-valued products and services and the most satisfying ownership experience in America".

First Generation Toyota Tacomas Are Climbing In Value​

1711591303715.png

While most pickups from the 90s or early 2000s can be picked up for around $5,000, the Tacoma is on a different level. First gens in decent shape with over 150k miles, still get upwards to $10,000 in most markets. In California, Prerunners are very popular, since there isn't much need for 4WD, they can sell for closer to $15,000 with high miles. Think about that for a second, a 2WD, 25-year-old truck selling for the price of some new cars today.

The Toyota tax is an actual thing because when buyers see that badge, they know the hype is real. The difference with Toyota isn't just built into the quality of their products, but rather in the brands moral fiber. Toyota's great fortitude will allow them to continue to be the most respected automobile company in America. The Tacoma embodies all the same characteristics and that is why it is a living legend.

About The Author
Victor Troia • Features Writer (33 Articles Published)
Victor Troia is a Features and List Writer with 10 years of experience in the automotive industry. An enthusiast and car collector with a B.A in History and M.S in Education. Victor is a resident of San Diego, CA and enjoys writing about the impact automobiles have on car culture

Jay I believe you and I have both have been saying the same thing all along. Toyota completely separated themselves from Chevy/Dodge/Ford compact pickup trucks starting in the late 70's. And when my baby 95 GoldMetallic Taco fell into my hands (or my sons hands depending on who's telling the story) I knew I was a believer. ;)

The 1st gen taco never really made a lot of news as the greatest here in the northeast, other than all the frame rust issues with dealers stacking replacement frames like cord wood giving these tacoma's a bad rap. At least toyota stepped up, and took care of it one way or another. I could recall other manufactures got bit by the salt bug here, yet their owners were told to go pound sand.

Back