Thoughts on a possible

Rock62

'06 Tacoma, 4.0L, AT, 4wd, 138xxx miles. Recent work was on the front (both sides) for wheel hub assembly, rotors, pads, RH caliper, inner/outer tie rods, CV axles.

I have an odd harmonic vibration (high frequency) seeming to come from the rear of the vehicle. The vibration is most noticeable 30-35 mph. All drive train fluids were changed at 135,xxx miles. I did notice more collection of schmutz on the rear diff mag plug compared to the last fluid change at 105,xxx miles.

I suspect the rear axle bearings are entering their final stages of life. I know I need to open the rear drums to check the condition of the shoes. Possibly knock down 2 repairs with one Rock. (smile....its a pun).

The previous owner lived on a gravel road. Maintenance records are non-existent in this area of the truck.

Am I being a bit paranoid regarding the rear axle bearings? I'm trying to turn my attention to repairing the '81 Honda CX500C.

Vibrations are hard to track down, especially when you have a higher mileage vehicle. Could be anything from a drive shaft out of alignment, or balance to a bearing. I never had a bad wheel bearing on my tundra the entire 290k plus miles owned. Idk about tacoma's.

Yeah, I was thinking the rear axle bearings are low on the probable list. Prop shafts had U-joints and the Carrier Bearing replace about 2 years ago. New tires mounted and balanced just before Thanksgiving. Doesn't leave much for possibles.

I'll need to try 4wd to see if the Xfer case changes the symptom.

Some driveshafts have a weight on them for balance...make sure if it did, it didn't get knocked off...same for the rear brake drums.....all this is assuming it's related to the rear of the truck.

Some driveshafts have a weight on them for balance...make sure if it did, it didn't get knocked off...same for the rear brake drums.....all this is assuming it's related to the rear of the truck.
Thanks. We've had some pretty rough weather in this area. I had to wade thru multiple drifts on the path to work. Some were deep, some not deep, some were hard, some were soft, most were chewed up from traffic and littered with road icebergs.

I did collect a bird in the grill. It will rest there until warm weather. Yeah, its gross and splattered.

Before the rains came, we had 3' snowbanks for a couple days that I beat my truck though. The entire undercarriage, plus the wheels got packed with heavy icy snow. I could feel my tires being way out of balance till the wheels cleared themselves. Combined with the odd steering rack feeling, kind of felt like driving a truck that had one too many.

Back