Throttle hesitation

I have a 2017 Taco TRD sport that has 10,000 miles on it. It now has started hesitating when I stop and turn left or right from an idling stop. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Where do you get your gas from? Could be the winter gas blends coming out.
Mine feels like its hesitating all the time now but thats because I just got the transmission reset, yaw sensor reprogrammed and the CPM reset. It’s got to relearn how to drive. :confused:

It's been doing this for a few months. I have an appointment to take it in to see if toyota can diagnose it.

I haven’t had any issues like that with my 17. Agree the best thing is to take it to the dealership and make them look at it. The beauty of a warranty. They have to fix it.

The dealer in my area has always said never put Walmart gas/ sams club or Casey's gas in a Toyota.

Well I took the taco in but they couldn't recreate the hesitation. Then they wanted me to pay 55 dollars for the diagnosis. I told them no way am I paying $55 for ten minutes of work. So they waved the fee and sent me on my way.

Well I took the taco in but they couldn't recreate the hesitation. Then they wanted me to pay 55 dollars for the diagnosis. I told them no way am I paying $55 for ten minutes of work. So they waved the fee and sent me on my way.
Sounds right.

Hate they couldn’t recreate it. It always seems to work that way when it’s an intermittent issue.

I have a 17 SR5 and it happened to me a few times. One time I almost get hit when I was making a left turn. Like it stall. Do it once in a while.

I have the same problem. It feels like the computer retarding the timing to keep gas mileage better and hesitate Led foots like me. Really annoying. Ect power helps, but then it’s not as smooth. Feels like Toyota overthought this one. When I hit 5000 miles I’m having them check it out as well has remove the door ajar beep and the seatbelt beep.

The real difference is the amount of additives that are in the gas. More additives essentially afford more protection and are “cleaner” but they usually cost more. The government mandates a minimum amount of additives and some gas companies will only have the minimum. Some companies have spent millions of dollars coming up with their own formula and will say its “cleaner” and helps protect the engine better.
I’ve heard gunk caused by cheap fuels with insufficient additives can foul fuel injectors. I’ve never had any issues. You can always buy additives like Techron from chevron and add it to a tank of fuel every 6 months if you’re worried about it and you buy cheap fuel. Arco, BP, grocrey store gas stations bargain basement and mom and pop stations are usually considered cheap. Mobil, 76 your mid level and Chevron and shell are usually considered your higher end gas. Everyone has their preference. Could all be bogus.

The real difference is the amount of additives that are in the gas. More additives essentially afford more protection and are “cleaner” but they usually cost more. The government mandates a minimum amount of additives and some gas companies will only have the minimum. Some companies have spent millions of dollars coming up with their own formula and will say its “cleaner” and helps protect the engine better.
I’ve heard gunk caused by cheap fuels with insufficient additives can foul fuel injectors. I’ve never had any issues. You can always buy additives like Techron from chevron and add it to a tank of fuel every 6 months if you’re worried about it and you buy cheap fuel. Arco, BP, grocrey store gas stations bargain basement and mom and pop stations are usually considered cheap. Mobil, 76 your mid level and Chevron and shell are usually considered your higher end gas. Everyone has their preference. Could all be bogus.

Can also get water in the gas. A problem at some stations. It flooded really bad here last year. If you weren’t careful your vehicle would get water and spit, sputter, and run like crap.

People should put fuel additives in their tanks every 6 months m regardless. I buy from shell and still put the Techron fuel additive every 1000 miles. I buy in bulk at Costco, it's a lot cheaper.

People should put fuel additives in their tanks every 6 months m regardless. I buy from shell and still put the Techron fuel additive every 1000 miles. I buy in bulk at Costco, it's a lot cheaper.
and how often do u think the fuel filter should be changed?
Since we are on this fuel dealio

cuz this is 30k with shell, chevron, and in a pinch mobil.

20170125_134550.jpg

Last edited:
and how often do u think the fuel filter should be changed?
Since we are on this fuel dealio

cuz this is 30k with shell, chevron, and in a pinch mobil.

View attachment 13364

Depends on the gen Tacoma. I've been told on this forum that the 2nd gens apparently never need their fuel filters changed... although my truck has 200k on it and it's never been done. I know on first gens they can easily be replaced.

Also is that a cup of fuel...? Or oil? What am I looking at? If that's the fuel in your tank, then yes absolutely change the filter and and add fuel additives like chevron Techron every 1000 miles. Buy them in bulk if there's a Costco near you, you'll save a ton of money.

Last edited:
Back