Throw out bearing issues

matti101

I have a 2005 Tacoma and have replaced the throw out bearing twice in the passed 1 1/2. From negative gathered on the interwebs, this generation has a with going through bearings. PDM offers a transmission sleeve kit that is supposed to solve to problem. Has anyone else experienced this issue and how did you fix it?

Thanks

mild(ish) chatter on Gen1 rig at 282k miles (25.5yrs)... still not ready 4 the pricey procedure to replace clutch overHaul
its coming tho.... maybe get it to 1/3rd million miles and get 'er done then IDK

Keep your AAA membership active.

That many miles on the OEM is getting quite risky for a failure.

Once upon several lifetimes ago, I had a Buick Skyhawk with the 5 speed manual. It liked eating the clutch cable. 1st time the cable snapped I had just made the shift into 3rd gear. Timing traffic thru town was a bit of a challenge. Second time, I was between 4th and 5th gear. Coasted to a stop along the highway, then thumbed back to town to hire a tow truck. After that, I just got in the habit of replacing the cable every 2 years.

My point is......have the work done BEFORE you get stranded due to a breakdown. Nothing more expensive than a forced repair coupled with a towing bill. Plus you are walking until the repair is finished.

i am trying to budget the Taco repairs! maintenance and upkeep... untold $1000s are needed currently
perhaps when there is a major notice in hardness of shifting i head to the shop

just super happy the VCGs have not sprung another weep yet like they did about 4 years ago... i did not know if those were time or mileage dependent... so far its time dependent
but the covers themselves are looking aged and weathered i don't like that!

I'll be very bold.....

Total up the $$ for the needed repairs. Find the KBB value of the truck. If the repair $$ exceed the value of the truck.............
It may be time to redirect the repair $$ into another vehicle.

KBB is bs on these old trucks
LOL
the hail damage earlier this year on the truck far exceeded the KBB value
LOL
a new set of tires would exceed it
LOL
newer vehicles are not my cup-o'-joe anymore, i have not ever had a vehicle that did not have the now-old-school odometer dials instead of those dumb digital digits that you cannot watch turning every mile upon mile upon mile
watching all six turn at once is a treat every now and then

Last edited:
Gen2 Tacomas are around. They have the "old -school" dials.

Sounds like you have an emotional connection to the truck. This is a sure path to emptying your wallet. One day, you will not be able to get parts or make repairs.

I have an old motorcycle from 1981. It is becoming very hard to find parts. Finding a mechanic to work on it is impossible. I keep it because I like it and the repairs are less than the value of the bike. When the day arrives when repairs exceed the value, then it will be sold as is or scrapped. I'll find another motorcycle. I make the repairs. To me, it is cathartic to diagnose and repair and source the parts. Currently, it needs an ignition system. This is an engine out repair. A bit more involved that I expected, but the solution is not a difficult path, just a path not travelled.

I know one day, I will have to cross the bridge of judging repair $$ vs replacement motorcycle

<edit> As a safety note for you and the drivers around you. Please, please, please DO NOT fiddle with your cell phone while driving. This is distracted driving. At 60 mph, you are travelling 88 ft/second. Pace the distance off some time. The time required to snap a quick picture you could easily travel 200 ft or more.

I was a victim of a distracted driver playing with his cell phone. He rear-ended me in rush hour traffic that had stopped. Caused me to hit the car in front of me......then 3 more cars. My truck suffered over $10,000 damage. The cause of the mess was not insured. Rush traffic was running about 60 mph, when a sea of brake lights occurred, and everyone stopped. The final chapter of the story. All 5 of the damage car owners pressured our insurance companies with public records of the causation driver. Insurance companies worked with the law enforcement to have a warrant issued for his arrest. I'm sure that induhvidual was arrested, went to court and was required to repay the damages to the insurance companies.

At that time, I was driving an '07 GMC Seirra 2500HD. The car in front of me had paper tags, it was a new Honda Accord. Just the damage on these 2 vehicles would well exceed $20K. I didn't pay much attention to the other 3 cars.

Last edited:
@JayQQ97

You deleted your pics of the palindrome at 60 mph. :rolleyes:

You should go back to your other post when you are near a border running over 80 mph to delete that picture. :eek:

Back