Ticking 2019

mr.gore

After driving, at idle obnoxious ticking/rattling noise in drive, stops in neutral any suggestions?

People say fuel injectors cleaning them selves?

You aren't the first to complain about ticking. I really don't have the answer because mine don't tick. I know the injectors go thru a cleaning cycle ocassionaly but it wouldn't be every time, and I haven't heard my injectors cleaning yet so I don't know if that would be a noticable noise anyways. Beings the noise is in drive at idle and not neutral id say it would be related to oil pressure because youre engine will idle a little faster in neutral than in drive. I run Amsoil and premium gas and mine has always been quiet. Is that the answer, I really don't know. Amsoil, mobil1, castrol appear to be the most popular oils around here and been hearing good things about the Rotella gas truck oil. Someone else had reported that their engine quieted down with premium gas. I don't know if any of this will help youre situation, its just what I do.

Depends on how good your hearing is. If it sounds like a small engine with mechanical lifters type of tick noise, you are hearing the high pressure fuel pump operating. The high pressure pump makes a ticking noise whether the engine is cleaning or using direct or port injection.

All of these new engines do seem to tick, whirl etc.
It is the systems.
My best friend wasn't going to buy this mint used F150 a few years ago because she said it sounds like the engine is going to blow up. I said I don't think its got anything wrong with it. I told her to buy it and if the engine blows up in the next 2 years I will pay for it to be rebuilt. Well 2.5 years later it still runs perfectly, and still makes the same noises. Sure they sound a little unnerving, but its not like the 1990s engines where you could really detect a problem with your ears. I test drove five brands of pickups in the last month, but actually looked at 18 pickups, and opened the hood on all 18 while they were running, and all made some scary sounds. I actually found the Ford and Nissan to sound worse than the GMC, Honda and Toyota.

My 06 GMC made a strange sound when I popped the hood and listened to the engine before I bought the (new) truck. Asked a mechanic what the sound was. It was the roller lifters and rocker arms echoing thru the plastic intake manifold. An unnerving sound when you aren't accustomed to it. 126K later the engine made the same noise and was trouble free. Can't say the same about the frame, power steering pump, power steering box or front hub assemblies.

It is interesting that people listen to their engines with the hood up, and straining to hear it. Yet just go for a normal drive with the windows up, and radio at a normal volume, and it is not loud at all.

You aren't the first to complain about ticking. I really don't have the answer because mine don't tick. I know the injectors go thru a cleaning cycle ocassionaly but it wouldn't be every time, and I haven't heard my injectors cleaning yet so I don't know if that would be a noticable noise anyways. Beings the noise is in drive at idle and not neutral id say it would be related to oil pressure because youre engine will idle a little faster in neutral than in drive. I run Amsoil and premium gas and mine has always been quiet. Is that the answer, I really don't know. Amsoil, mobil1, castrol appear to be the most popular oils around here and been hearing good things about the Rotella gas truck oil. Someone else had reported that their engine quieted down with premium gas. I don't know if any of this will help youre situation, its just what I do.
Unless your engine is pinging, premium gas is just burning unnecessary money. These trucks were built to run on regular, the higher octane just makes the flash point temp higher to help prevent pre ignition. If it runs fine on regular there is absolutely no benefit running premium gas. Here is a quote from a mechanics forum,
“Here's the deal : higher octane means less volatility, and this is meant for engines with higher compression so that the fuel doesn't ignite too early in the cycle . Lower octane fuel is more volatile and is meant for engines where compression rates are lower, so that the ignition in the cycle not occur too early .

In all cases, follow the manufacturer's octane recommendation for better performance . However most cars which use high octane are able to accept regular gas because they are equipped with knock sensors which will automatically adjust the engine cycle timing, thus reducing engine knock or detonation. Engine performance will be diminished however.“

I don't hear anything unusual from my 3.5 engine except the engine running. Sounds like any other engine i've heard.

Unless your engine is pinging, premium gas is just burning unnecessary money. These trucks were built to run on regular, the higher octane just makes the flash point temp higher to help prevent pre ignition. If it runs fine on regular there is absolutely no benefit running premium gas. Here is a quote from a mechanics forum,
“Here's the deal : higher octane means less volatility, and this is meant for engines with higher compression so that the fuel doesn't ignite too early in the cycle . Lower octane fuel is more volatile and is meant for engines where compression rates are lower, so that the ignition in the cycle not occur too early .

In all cases, follow the manufacturer's octane recommendation for better performance . However most cars which use high octane are able to accept regular gas because they are equipped with knock sensors which will automatically adjust the engine cycle timing, thus reducing engine knock or detonation. Engine performance will be diminished however.“
The last paragraph says it all. They 3.5 is a 13 to 1 engine and yes due to knock sensors and host of other computer stuff can run on 87 octane gas however performance and driveability suffers.

The last paragraph says it all. They 3.5 is a 13 to 1 engine and yes due to knock sensors and host of other computer stuff can run on 87 octane gas however performance and driveability suffers.
Not my engine if i run only 87 octane fuel. It runs worse with anything higher. I noticed less power on hills, and worse fuel economy. If they designed these engines to run best on premium toyota would of stated so. Instead its 87.

Not my engine if i run only 87 octane fuel. It runs worse with anything higher. I noticed less power on hills, and worse fuel economy. If they designed these engines to run best on premium toyota would of stated so. Instead its 87.
If you read you're owners manual it says that 87 octane is minimum octane, not that 87 is recommended or preferred, it says 87 or better. But since you know and are satisfied with youres go ahead and run 87, it's you're truck.

Back