Timing Cover Leak/Bad Fuel Diagnosis

mkzcaldwell

Looking to get some advice on some issues I've been having on my 42k mile 2021 TRD Off-Road!

Took it in to get serviced a couple weeks ago and after inspection, they said there was a timing cover seal leak that needed to be replaced. An engine pull was required to complete the replacement, so I got it back after about 2 weeks due to some parts being on backorder and overall labor to get it done but all was covered under warranty. I filled my tank 2 days after picking it up and the following day, started noticing some issues.

There was some high idling going about 70mph on the highway, and RPMs would stick around 3000. The following day I still felt the same stall when I would accelerate from a stop and it'd jump a but after trying to get past 20mph so it instinctly felt like a transmission/timing belt issue, but it was occurring at lower speeds now. I never had these issues before taking it in.

The CEL came on so I called the dealership and took it in within the hour – I was initially just thinking that something wasn’t done right when they put the engine back in. When they called me today they said the codes coming back were for misfires, and that it’s likely a bad fuel issue (from when I filled my tank). I’ve been using the same gas station forever with no issues, so I’m wondering if they’re trying to scam me for their mistake or not. Any advice on how I should handle this with the dealership? And/or how I should go about making sure the issue is actually what they say it is?

Me thinks you've been scammed for ''its the old bad fuel issue''. I thought that trick was long gone. It was popular with dealers in many 70's cars. Its likely something could have been screwed up when they did the timing cover leak. 5 finger drift can be harder to find than a common issue.

High idling at 70mph?????

Fill the tank with fresh fuel. Any "bad" fuel will be mixed, ie diluted.

Is there another dealer in the area? Many times a second shop will confirm or offer another reason.

Back