Tires for Wide Stance

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by rheaume7, May 7, 2020.

1. rheaume7

rheaume7 New Member

New here. I have a 13 Tacoma Limited SBDC. Want to put a 2" lift on it. I only do trails. Never anything really high up. I have 18" rims. Any suggestions on what would be a good tire size to go with that would give me a wide stance?

Scott Wyman and tooter like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. TacoKen

TacoKen Well-Known Member

wider stance depends on rims/spacers, not tires.

tooter and B-Man like this.
  4. Tape

Tape Well-Known Member

It depends on the offset of the rims, I know you're not recommending it but I wouldn't put spacers on anything I drive.

I would suggest 30 millimeter negative offset JMO

Custom Offset

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Scott Wyman, tooter and B-Man like this.
  5. David M. Cate

David M. Cate Active Member

Yes it does,tires are made wider they have a lot to do with stance

6. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say a lot. They have some effect on it. The majority of the “poke” is from rim offset or a spacer (I wouldn’t recommend spacer if you can use offset). Some is from width of rim and then tire. Tire width plays the least in this equation. You shouldn’t run a wide tire on a narrow rim nor a wide rim with a narrow tire. There is a happy ratio on tire width to rim width. There is also a happy place on these trucks when it comes to offsets as well as rim and tire dimensions. It’s science. :D

tooter and Scott Wyman like this.
  7. OR17TRD

The size of tires depend on the offset of the wheels. If they are close to stock offset 265/65/18 if you don’t want to worry about other mods. You may get away with a 275/70/18 but probably will need modifications to the wheel well for rubbing.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  8. David M. Cate

9. David M. Cate

I use spacers and never had any issues.

10. David M. Cate

11. David M. Cate

So your saying a 65mm tire will poke out the same or no different than an 85mm tire? Come on!

12. OR17TRD

Are we taking about LEGO tires now? RC cars? I guess I’ll play. :D
    A 65mm tire is going to be 20mm shorter than a 85mm tire. The width could be the same. You’re taking about 2.5 inch tires compared to 3.3 inch tires.

If you’re referring to a 265/65/18 vs a 285/65/18 the width is going to be 0.8” wider in total which will only give you 0.4” of “poke” or “stance” that’s equal to 10mm of negative offset.
    What I was saying was a wider tire alone isn’t going to give you a “lot” of stance. You said “Yes it does,tires are made wider they have a lot to do with stance” I said “I wouldn’t say a lot. They have some effect on it” Most people are looking for at least 1-2” of poke when they want a wide or aggressive stance.
    Changing the wheel offset can give a greater stance then a wider tire. Even more when paired with a wider tire. You’re going to need a lower offset (or wheel spacer) to run a 285 on the Tacoma anyways. If you put them on a stock wheel they will rub the control arm.
    A zero or -6 offset works well with a 285. You'll also need at least a 2” lift.
    285/65/18 with a -6 offset will give you about 1.6” of poke for a more aggressive stance. Compared to a +25 OEM wheel with 285/65/18 at 0.4” of poke. You get 1.2” more with offset. Or you can get a 1.25” wheel spacer to achieve the same thing.
    I stand by my previous statement.

tooter and B-Man like this.
  13. TacoKen

TacoKen Well-Known Member

I think you should go visit a tire store that sells rims and tires. You don't seem to believe us so maybe they have the expertise you are looking for.

OR17TRD, tooter and B-Man like this.