Topper, Tonneau or Bed Rack System

Steepside

Ok trying to decide on the best route for the back of my 2017 TRD Off Road Short Box.
What’s the best option for over-landing topper, tonneau or bed rack system. All have their positives but what’s the real world use?

Also for all the people using a bed rack system for their RTT and gear what do you do to protect your fridge etc...any ideas or comments would be appreciated!!

I’d go with the tonneau cover too. It can be out of the way in an instant when you need a full truck bed.
I have the factory Toyota one on mine. If I was going to buy one I’d look at the Bakflip brand.
If you’re looking to save money though you can get a tonneau for under $200 off eBay and they really aren’t that bad and will keep your bed dry.

I like my bakflip MX4 but if you’re going to have any gear that is taller than the bed it won’t close hindering it useless in the weather. Bed rack systems are ok for attaching gear to and leaving available space to put other gear in the bed but will not protect against weather. A cap will give you the ability to store and keep gear dry while giving you a taller storage area.You can buy racks to go on top of the cap/topper that can be used to mount a basket or other options to mount gear and store extra gear that does not need to stay dry.
If you don’t plan on having gear loaded higher than the bed a tonneau cover is great. If you plan on using the bed of your truck to get loads of bark dust, gravel or wood a folding tonneau cover is great.
It really depends on your use and personal needs for the bed of your taco.

Great question, cap/toppers are nice but they are a pain to remove ie you either need more then one person or you need some kind of lift system. That's why I was thinking of a bestop type of topper that folds down out of the way in minutes kind of a topper tonneau cover. All though I've read they might have a leaking problem like some tonneau covers. I guess there's really never a 100% option you always have tradeoffs with one option or another.

I have a tonneau, and I'm planning on getting a cap instead. The tonneau really limits space. The cap has a lot more storage space, can be left on for daily commuting/driving while still being able to access everything inside, it's a dry safe spot for the dogs, don't have to fold anything up to fit lumber/etc, the list goes on. There are downsides, but the pros far outweigh the cons imo.

I recommend the bakflip MX4, purchased from

TonneauCovered.com for $789, free shipping and no tax in Aug

If you go this route. There is a coupon I can share with you and you get $20 off. PM for info

upload_2017-10-23_17-41-37.png

I just ordered a topper this weekend, 3 weeks until it will come in, although they are much more expensive than a tonneau, more space is what I need for the winter. Leer 100XL for 2017 DCLB $2400.
It hurt my wallet if your wondering

I just ordered a topper this weekend, 3 weeks until it will come in, although they are much more expensive than a tonneau, more space is what I need for the winter. Leer 100XL for 2017 DCLB $2400.
It hurt my wallet if your wondering

It hurt but will be worth it when you have it. (Hopefully).

Back