Towing

I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder automatic 4 speed transmission, and I bought an older boat. I towed it from Seattle to west of Portland the only problem I had was going up hwy 26 (steep hill) I could only get the speed up to 50 miles and hour. The boat weighs about 1700 lbs. Do I have a problem or is it normal on steep hills with my truck?

Thanks for any help with my problem Dave.

Attachments

• metro_car_image_temp5076483269566870272.jpg
    metro_car_image_temp5076483269566870272.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
  • 20200626_181018.jpg
    20200626_181018.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
Towing with a 4 cylinder and auto tranny uphill pulling 1700 lbs is a real chore for your truck.Did it feel like the tranny was slipping at all?

No the tranny was not slipping. It just seamed there was no power to go any faster up the hill.
If you plan to tow your new old boat a good bit, may want to look into a gear swap...
It's only half the cost as a 4x4 and the rear is the easiest.
Assembled 3rd members from ECGS are a pretty convenient way to go about it.

I did some checking and watched several videos on re-gear it is advised to go with
5.29 Nitro Gears looks like this will get the job done.
Thanks for your advice I will respond after I get new gears.

I did some checking and watched several videos on re-gear it is advised to go with
5.29 Nitro Gears looks like this will get the job done.
Thanks for your advice I will respond after I get new gears.
What gears are in it now?
I'm guessing you prob found a 2x4, 4 banger, auto thread? I looked for a couple mins during my lunch break but couldn't find a solid answer...
Those would probably get any job done but I'm a little concerned that they may be too steep esp if you keep a stockish tire size.
If you 5th gear ratio is 0.72 then you'd have a final drive ratio of 3.80 with 5.29s. That's kinda up there. Lol
I think you may have a ~3.5 in the rear end now, 4.56 would be a huge improvement, even if you ran a slightly taller tire.
But I'm sure there's plenty of threads and people out there that have done it on a truck specifically like yours...
I'm having a hard time getting my brain in gear, just got home, think I'll have a beer and pass out on the couch...
Goodnight and good luck!

here are two videos on upgrading rear end gears;
Yep, great video. I really like that guy. Awesome channel, awesome dood.
5.29s are perfect for the 3rd gen automatics with the super deep 0.58 6th OD gear esp running 35s.
I have 4.88s on the way, my 6th is 0.71 and I have a 34" tire.
Wasn't trying to discourage or say 5.29s wouldn't work for your needs, it's just the kind of thing that you only want to pay for once. Lol
Best bet would be call a gear shop, East Coast Gear Supply are some good peoples, and tell them your setup, what you plan to do with it, what size tire you have or plan to have and see what they come back with.

I'm all over it. Called my master mechanic this morning he told me he would never change the set up on a car manufacturers set-up. He told me find someone that does that kind of work.
I had a 1994 4x4 Toyota pickup 6 cyl manual 5 speed that had the same problem I have now. I finally sold it after towing a small boat in eastern Oregon. It just had trouble going up hills so I sold it. Now I think it was the differential that needed to be upgraded.

What is your cost to install the differential?
Nada. Lol
I went with the assembled 3rd members because I plan to switch them out myself.
It can be done in your garage or driveway, there's videos on YouTube.
I've already found a large amount of incompetence in the shops around the town I just moved to a few months ago, I also recently got a job at one. Lol
I'm a welder but we have lifts and all the right jacks and stuff to get it done. And a Napa store attached to the building. Lol

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I would do it myself but I am not doing auto body work in a shop anymore so someone will need to do it for me. The book time is 3.4 hours at $110.00 per hour = $374.00.

Ok the new diff is in it cost me $800.00 to get it installed with a transmission cooler. I was referred to this guy, and it would have been cheaper to just have him build the new diff for me. He has been doing this kind of work for years and knows his business. I did the break in and just went 180 miles to the beach a few days ago the truck has lots more power, and the rpms definitely make all the difference.

Just checking in to see how your install went.

Oh yea I just bought a new Gator ETX Tri-Fold (fits) 2005-2015 Toyota Tacoma 6 FT Tonneau Bed Cover and your business with Realtruck on eBay!
I book marked the site on ebay and I just got a message this morning for a lower price $212.97 with free shipping, most sites want $259.99.

I think that 4 banger is doing very well, I don't think the gears are going to help, they're just going to get your RPMs up and you'll end up with the same speed. Just think about it, it's only got about 150 hp. jmo

I think that 4 banger is doing very well, I don't think the gears are going to help, they're just going to get your RPMs up and you'll end up with the same speed. Just think about it, it's only got about 150 hp. jmo
I agree and not enough torque.

Ok the new diff is in it cost me $800.00 to get it installed with a transmission cooler. I was referred to this guy, and it would have been cheaper to just have him build the new diff for me. He has been doing this kind of work for years and knows his business. I did the break in and just went 180 miles to the beach a few days ago the truck has lots more power, and the rpms definitely make all the difference.

Just checking in to see how your install went.
All good here. Thanks for checking. I have close to 300 miles on the gears. 3rd member swaps were simple. Took about 5-6 hrs for both. Did that a couple of Thursdays ago.
Running and strapping the airlines and wiring, installing switches took me most of last Wednesday... like morning till night... lol
The wires ended up being about a foot short of reaching the battery so I finished the next day.
No leaks, no complaints. The new ratio is awesome! I've been driving like a grandma who just got stoned for the first time but I can tell it's just what the truck needed.
I left it in 6th for a hill that I usually bump over to 4th and resume cruise control for and it held the set speed and actually went 2-3 over 3/4 way up the hill... lol
No towing yet, per instructions but, I'm not concerned about anything that I use it for, it'll do just fine... lol
9f1115809dfa3068152a2ab2a088d9d6.jpg
a0d4935507b151c936081d98dc8ebc37.jpg
34d441783d1c0c072ffe803d1e7940e3.jpg
a2581f0a9fec80a6f0b331f86949c45f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I don't drive much I still have 100 miles before I get a gear oil change, and try out towing the boat. Salmon fishing is coming up starting around the middle of February I can't wait to get out there and catch some fish.

Back