toyota tacoma 2004

Take a bit of time to run through the High Mileage Maintenance list and perform all.

If nothing else, when you complete the tasks you'll have a better understanding of the overall condition of your purchase.

Best way to get more power from the 4 popper is to remove it, then install a V-6. There is an age old saying that remains true. There is no replacement for displacement.

Good Luck

Last edited:
All leg pulling aside. The 4 popper is not a power based unit, its geared towards economy.

Your path, short of replacing the engine, is a complete tuneup of all engine and driveline components. Steer clear of any modifications like big wheels or lifts. Don't jack around with the gear ratios. Believe it or not, the Toyota engineers have a clue when designing and building. Your chances of messing things up is quite high.

Things like "performance flash tunes" or CAI are mostly successful in making your wallet lighter.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. There are no miracles.

Last edited:
Yeah, when I test drove the 2020 gen3 tacoma with the 4 cylinder, I questioned what was toyota thinking by putting this 2.7 engine in a nearly 2 1/2 ton truck. It was painfully underpowered up hills. Fuel economy was the same as the v6 that had over 100 hp more. The only plus side of having the 4 cylinder, is the truck costs less to buy.

Back