Toyota Tacoma RWD vs Car 4x4 for light off-road.

9CO-AsylumKey

Hi all,

I'm looking into buying a vehicle for light off-road duty; Forest roads in various states of dis-repair, my plan is to volunteer fixing forest roads and get as far into the back country as possible.

My question; Would a rear wheel drive Tacoma or a 4x4 car (Subaru Outback/Forester), be better for that use case. Obviously, I would prefer a 4x4 Tacoma, but those appear to be pretty expensive.

Any other recommendations for this use case? I am looking for a reliable vehicle under about 5k, preferably even lower. I don't mind buying a very old vehicle.

Thanks for your time!

Hi all,

I'm looking into buying a vehicle for light off-road duty; Forest roads in various states of dis-repair, my plan is to volunteer fixing forest roads and get as far into the back country as possible.

My question; Would a rear wheel drive Tacoma or a 4x4 car (Subaru Outback/Forester), be better for that use case. Obviously, I would prefer a 4x4 Tacoma, but those appear to be pretty expensive.

Any other recommendations for this use case? I am looking for a reliable vehicle under about 5k, preferably even lower. I don't mind buying a very old vehicle.

Thanks for your time!

Buying an older Tacoma is still fairly expensive because they hold their value well.
An Outback has almost 9” of true ground clearance and they’re pretty formidable on most trails as long as you don’t bottom out. They’re cheaper too.
Either would do the job. Just look for rusted areas on the frame especially with either and have it looked over by a trustworthy mechanic before you buy if you’re not mechanically inclined.

Thanks Bogunn, thats exactly what I wanted to know.

Wasn't sure whether the Outback was actually useful on trails, or if it was just for people that wanted to look like they could go off-road. You never know with advertising as it is these days.

Thanks Bogunn, thats exactly what I wanted to know.

Wasn't sure whether the Outback was actually useful on trails, or if it was just for people that wanted to look like they could go off-road. You never know with advertising as it is these days.

I’ve had two over the years and had them in some kinda sketchy places a time or two. They did well. It’s not a truck but they do well.

Back