TPS Check engine code

heypacman

Hello all,

New to this forum.

So I have a 2003 Tacoma and have been having issues with what my computer says is a bad tps. When I'm driving, out of nowhere and at random I will lose throttle then the idle with go up and the throttle won't engage until I have the throttle half way to the floor. The code comes up with tps. It goes in to a romp mode. Shifting from neutral to drive is really rough to where it will jerk your head. As soon as you turn the car off and back on, it goes back to running perfect again. So I made a call to China and was about to get 5 sent to me. Changed it out and had a shop check it to make sure it was all aligned correctly. Everything was running good. Then it happened again. When I first started getting this issue, the only modification I had done was the k&n intake system. Could the intake be causing this? Has anyone had any issues like this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Call to China??? So you are buying cheap sensors?

K&N filters have been known to muck up the MAF sensor with filter oil. Try swapping back to the OEM intake and see if it's still an issue.

The only way to get that sensor is from the supplier where Toyota gets them from. If I wanted to buy it in the states if have to buy the whole throttle body and at $1300 I'd rather try alternate ways before I have to go that route.

Yea I'm going to have to try that.

Back