Trailer brake controller dongle

Jalgieri

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I purchased a 2023 Tacoma 4x4 Off Road and I am trying to install a REDARC trailer brake controller unit. The problem I am having is I cannot locate the dongle on the truck that is supposed to plug into the brake controller unit. I took off the panel to the left of the brake pedal and even the panel under the steering wheel. I looked all around and even climbed up under the dash but I cannot for the life of me locate a loose dongle that matches the plug on the brake controller. There is one plug mounted under the dash near the tire pressure reset button but I believe that's for the computer connection. Does anyone have and ideas where it might be hiding? Does Toyota plug it into a "dead" socket just to keep it from flopping around? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't know about any dongle, but if you do a search on YouTube for hooking up brake controllers on tacoma's as I did back in 2020 for my tacoma, they show good videos how to do it. Hopefully this helps.

I don't know about any dongle, but if you do a search on YouTube for hooking up brake controllers on tacoma's as I did back in 2020 for my tacoma, they show good videos how to do it. Hopefully this helps.
I looked at the video and it's good but I cannot find the dongle under the dash. In the video it was just there, plainly obvious.

I looked at the video and it's good but I cannot find the dongle under the dash. In the video it was just there, plainly obvious.
Like I mentioned, I'm not aware of any dongle's these truck even have...I know I didn't any in my sr5. Are you sure you are using the correct application for your truck?

Per the owner's manual the vehicle is equiped with a trailer brake controller. The very poor diagram looks like it is benind the lower part of the left side of the dash. I can't say I've looked for it. But the manual does confirm the connections existence.

I don't call it a dongle, it's more of a multi-pin molex connector. Mine was located above the obdII port in my sr5.

I'll look on my 2020 Sport when it cools down enought to get in the truck without third degree burns.:eek:

I had to start my truck last week, and run the air a few minutes before I could touch my hands on the steering wheel.

New high for the truck thermo meter. 110F. It cooled down to 105F on my drive home.

The good thing about this heat is I'm getting accustomed to the atmosphere of my eternity.

Back