Transmission not shifting

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by Danplante, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Danplante

Danplante Member

So I have a 2008 tacoma with a 5 speed automatic transmission that doesn't like to shift into 5th when it's cold. It only really does this when it's below - 10 celsius. Once the truck warms up it shifts fine but at first it can take several minutes on the highway before it finally shifts into 5th. I have a feeling it's a computer problem but I don't understand why it would only happen when it's cold out. The colder it is the longer it takes to shift to 5th and when it's above 0 celsius, it shifts perfectly fine. Anyone know what's going on?

texasred likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. TacoBOB77

TacoBOB77 Well-Known Member

4) Shift points become delayed. (Delayed shifts are a precursor to harder shifts.) 5) The computer in many vehicles will delay or prohibit the use of overdrive until the transmission reaches normal operating temperatures. ... 7) Water in the transmission can be a big problem, whether it's cold or hot

This is my input operating temperature is a big factor..also you may need to warm up your truck untill its at operating temp to avoid damage on other internal parts in transmission there is not much else you can do that i can think of..anyone else got anything on this subject??

texasred and Lil G like this.
  4. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

I’m thinking longer warm up time. Just like hydraulic fluid it works slow till it’s warm.

texasred, B-Man and TacoBOB77 like this.