Transmission questions

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by tempdifference, Mar 10, 2019.

1. tempdifference

tempdifference New Member

Hey,

Does anyone els have a loud clunk as they release the gas and start coming to a stop. It happens as the car slows down and the transmission shifts into lower gears. Doesn’t happen all the time but often enough to bring up some concerns. I already called Toyota and complain about the transmission behaviours and they told me to ride it out as I had not broken in the truck. They did a transmission software update (something along those lines) and it hasn’t helped much. I did some research and it seems like the transmission in this generation is a little weird but I think the clunk is not normal. I now have 20 000 km on it. Does anyone have some insight on this and if so what did you do to get to the bottom of the issue.

Thanks !

texasred likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. arm76

arm76 Active Member

I'm at 16000 km on my '17 and although the transmission has calmed down a bit, I still notice some hesitation and clunking here and there, mostly on deceleration and coming to a full stop. Sometimes it seems like it clunks right after I come to a complete stop. I guess I've pegged that to good old axle wrap though.

texasred, OR17TRD and B-Man like this.
  4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Sounds like axel wrap

B-Man and texasred like this.
  5. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Have you had all the fluids checked. Some were coming from factory with low transmission fluid. I don’t know if they finally resolved all of them.

B-Man and texasred like this.
  6. Captqc

Captqc Well-Known Member

C695DD6C-7980-4209-8DEB-7C9F5A290246.jpeg I installed these and haven’t noticed the clunk anymore.

7. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

Did you ever take apart and grease the center slip joint on your driveshaft? Mine came dry from the factory. That will bind and then pop when you stop or start because there is insufficient or no grease in the joint. Even tho the joint is plastic coated, it still needs grease to slide. When you stop or start, the driveshaft changes length a bit because of spring squat or lift in the back.

The noise went away and has not returned since I have greased the slip joint (5K miles).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    rdguill likes this.
  8. TacoRick

TacoRick Well-Known Member

This happens occasionally on my 2016, but not often enough to be concerned. I've always assumed it's axle wrap.

9. rdguill

rdguill Member

I had the same problem on my ‘07 Tundra and I did the same procedure that you described. Greasing the splines, the slip joint and also where it connects to the transmission, solved the problem for the next 80,000 miles. My ‘16 Tacoma TRD OR Long bed sometimes exhibits this clunking problem after 25,000 miles. The greasing of the spline joints works.

10. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

Were the splines on your Tundra and Tacoma plastic coated?