Travel trailer towing

CFDFireman90

For those hauling a travel trailer/camper with their Tacoma, what size and weight are you hauling? And,how does your Tacoma do with it? Any and all input appreciated. I am doing my research for a purchase next summer. I have a 2013 double cab with factory towing package. I am looking at campers in the 19'-21' range, weighing in around 3500-4000.

Sent from my iPhone using Taco Forum mobile app

I have a '13 4X4 and was told it had towing but it only had the receiver and wiring (4 pin). After doing some researching I found out it was only rated at 3500 pounds towing. The only way I could tell mine doesn't have the oil and trans cooler in front of the radiator. If it has the coolers it should tow 7000 pounds.

Sent from my iPad using Taco Forum

I pull a Jayco 161 OctaneZX Toyhauler, dry weight is around 4,200lbs and I load it with a Polaris RZR 900. For short trips I have no problem but for trips lasting over 2hrs this is not the truck for the job. The reason 150 miles range before refueling.
My Tacoma is a 2012 DCSB 4X4 TRD OffRoad with factory towing hardware.

I decided to go the truck camper route instead, don't need a lot of room. Camper is made for mid size trucks, weighs in at 1100 pounds empty, well within payload capacity.

Attachments

• 1425243901978.jpg
    1425243901978.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 114
A vin# and a call to your local dealer will confirm weather or not you have a tow package. I have a 2011 4L non TRD w/factory tow package. It is rated for 6500 lb tow capacity.

For those hauling a travel trailer/camper with their Tacoma, what size and weight are you hauling? And,how does your Tacoma do with it? Any and all input appreciated. I am doing my research for a purchase next summer. I have a 2013 double cab with factory towing package. I am looking at campers in the 19'-21' range, weighing in around 3500-4000.

Sent from my iPhone using Taco Forum mobile app
Some RV dealers may let you hook one up to your truck and take a test drive with it, that really is the best way to get a feel as to how well it will handle. I just bought a 4300# camper and have a '11 taco with tow package, specs made me think it was well within reason. I am finding out now after a few tows that my truck might not be up to the task, worried about taking it on interstate. I have a WD hitch and anti sway, but back end of truck seems to get loose at 60mph. I am going to try to add some more cargo weight over the truck axle. Also considering trading in for 1/2 ton.

Back