Undercarriage protectant

As for removing cosmoline, you need mineral sprits or similar. I use RP-342 cosmoline thats sprayed on. You can buy rattle cans in black, or the standard amber color.
Pretty easy job actually to apply it once you put the truck on jack stands and remove the tires out of the way. Just suit up in protective clothing you don't want anymore with goggles and have at it.
Fluid flim works, but its lanolin based. As long as you keep on doing it, your good. Once it wash's away your back to square one promoting rust. I've used both, and the cosmoline so far works best for our climate.
the test subject matter is some brand spanking new OEM brake dust shields for the old '96 Corolla I am restoring, its brushed on from the gallon pail i bot for +80$
i applied in cold November weather, perhaps the cold chill made it look icky? i can snap a pic perhaps to show results better

I was just reading that the cosmoline could seal in moisture similar to rubberized undercoatings and accelerate rust, even though I'm still leaning towards cosmoline. How big of a job is it to spray the undercarriage properly? Couple of hours, or are we getting into over a day? I hear it's probably best to get it on jack stands with the wheels off.

I started around noon and was done by evening. That covered the entire chassis. Bed is composite so no need to coat that. I've seen a car that was done with cosmoline back in the 70's. The owner still drives it once a month. No rust anywhere. I believe its used on the german cars before they are shipped here.

the test subject matter is some brand spanking new OEM brake dust shields for the old '96 Corolla I am restoring, its brushed on from the gallon pail i bot for +80$
i applied in cold November weather, perhaps the cold chill made it look icky? i can snap a pic perhaps to show results better
November is too cold here for doing that. You gotta do it in the summer when its 90 plus. Once you spray cosmoline on it sets up in 15 minutes, or so, and dries to a waxy finish in an hr.

November is too cold here for doing that. You gotta do it in the summer when its 90 plus. Once you spray cosmoline on it sets up in 15 minutes, or so, and dries to a waxy finish in an hr.

yes, temps were in the 40s i recall when i applied it
i just wanted to remove it and try it again when its 100 degrees out in the cornfields today

i am brushing it on, don't have any dedicated sprayer for it yet

Idk about brushing on this stuff without it not seeping into all the joints like you'd get spraying it on. Its far thinner coming from a spray.

Back