What is this button

Discussion in '1995 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma' started by tacotaco88, Jan 6, 2019.

1. tacotaco88

tacotaco88 Member

I hit it and I think it does nothing but why is it there IMG_2925.jpg

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

The left knob is ??instrument cluster lights dimmer............the right button is ??rear axle lock..........what year of Taco is it???? Your owner's manual if you have it should explain them.

TacoBOB77 and Bogunn like this.
  4. OP
    tacotaco88

tacotaco88 Member

It’s a 2001 but I don’t have the owners manual. I knew about the cluster knob but the rear axle lock I did not know about. Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it

texasred and B-Man like this.
  5. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

If you have a TRD OffRoad than that should be where the rear diff lock is.
    IMG_2111.jpg
    If you don’t have an OffRoad than it’s an empty space. So someone may have added an aftermarket switch there.
    IMG_2112.jpg
    So. Truly with that being narrowed down the only way to figure out what it is (unless someone else knows) is to trace it down.

6. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

It looks aftermarket for sure. I would even say an on off switch maybe where there are two buttons. But I don’t know why someone would use that instead of a toggle switch.
    Look for aftermarket fogs. It should be easy to trace even if they’re off the truck now.

7. OP
    tacotaco88

tacotaco88 Member

For sure going to get under there this weekend since I’m working on gauge cluster.

texasred and Bogunn like this.
  8. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

Perhaps... 20190108_235710.jpeg

ak97taco, OR17TRD, dirtytaco and 5 others like this.
  9. OP
    tacotaco88

tacotaco88 Member

So upon further looking I do not have a rear locker. So yes it may be for aftermarket fog. Still have to follow the wire cause maybe I will install some fogs. I’m rocking 2001 V6 3.4L 4wd so I guess I just have the basic fella

OR17TRD and B-Man like this.