What oil are all of ya using?

I'm not a mechanical engineer nor claim to be the brightest crayon in the box, however I've done a lot of reading on this subject. According to what I've read over the years the manufacturers have tightened tolerances and changed alot of things to make the ICE engine more efficient. Some of it has to due with low tension rings and of course the sensors and computer controls that run off of oil pressure. In theory thinner oil flows faster thus dissipating the heat away from parts faster. The main reason for 0wt oil is faster flow on cold starts. I'm theory just start and go, no need for warm up, which makes all the powers to be happy, less gas, less pollutants.

I think 0w-20 oil that toyota has listed for use in this country opposed to 5w-30 in others for basically the same engine is strictly to improve fuel economy.

The 0W spec is to reduce power needed to pump the oil around the engine. It is also a "looser" oil so it flows with less effort when cold. This is all part of the effort to reach the Federal mandates on motor vehicles.

Truth is.....even the 20W will flow at -20F. Yes, the 0W will flow easier than 20W. The engine doesn't care what oil is in it. The engine just wants lubrication. Shoot, plain ol' veggy oiil could be used in a pinch. Although, I wouldn't recommend veggy oil for long term use.

Take a look at oil vs temperature charts. You will see the operating temperature range of straight and multi-viscosity oils.

I heard there is always a thin coat of oil everywhere unless the vehicle has sat for a long spell
So wouldn't the 0w drain much more easily into the pan leaving less lubrication up top because gravity does what it does

It probably does. I was told by a service tech to be sure you fill your oil filter housing when doing an oil change on these 3.5 v6's. These engines don'r want any oil starvation, not ever for a few seconds.

I took an old empty S100 plastic cleaner jug and cut a 1/3 off the lower end making a funnel out of it. Worked perfect crammed into my old tundra oil fill spout. Hopefully it'll work the same for the tacoma

The age old argument, what's a synthetic and what's not. If you're using a 0wt oil you're using at least a synthetic blend, but that's saying of you can find it. Most of the mame brands have went full synthetic now which basically means they are using hydro cracked grade 3, petroleum, as their base. Some claiming to be 100% synthetic use grade 4 or 5 as their base which is a true synthetic. Any oil that meets the new standard of GL6 api sp will be some kind of synthetic.

Back