What's better?

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by bumpedmyhead, Jul 2, 2018.

1. bumpedmyhead

bumpedmyhead Well-Known Member

ECT always on mod, or Shift Sense Pro? Whats the differences?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

I've heard better things about shift sense.

4. Burns

Burns Active Member

I don't have the shift sense, but my truck drives like a different truck with the ect always on mod.

TacoGal likes this.
  5. OP
    bumpedmyhead

I saw your post about the plug and play off amazon. Thats why Im asking.

6. Burns

Burns Active Member

I believe the truck has to be driven in s4 with the shift sense.

OR17TRD likes this.
  7. TacoGal

TacoGal Well-Known Member

My TRD drives better with ECT on all the time. No transmission jumps with it. It may use more gas but it’s worth it not to have the stutters and other problems

8. OP
    bumpedmyhead

Im kinda leaning towards the ECT mod, mostly because there is no giant box taped to the console. If theres a huge difference, Id like to hear about it.

9. OP
    bumpedmyhead

Oh, Im 2018 Trd sport

10. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

If I push the ECT button myself and I get in my truck 5 times a day and it takes me 3 sec to push the button that’s 15 secs out of my day. If I make $60 an hour it would take me 48 days for it to pay for itself. If I make $30 an hour it would take 96 days to pay for itself. If I can push the button faster than 3 sec than it would take even longer to pay for itself.
    Maybe I don’t want it on all the time. How do you turn it off if you have this mod? Is there a switch that is accessible?

Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  11. OP
    bumpedmyhead

@Burns uses this. Im considering it, or the SSP Screenshot_20180703-175900_Samsung Internet.jpeg Screenshot_20180703-175910_Samsung Internet.jpeg

TacoGal, Scott Wyman and Burns like this.
  12. Burns

Burns Active Member

I have had it installed for a few weeks now and it has worked flawlessly, super easy to install too.

bumpedmyhead likes this.
  13. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

I think for $60 I'll keep pushing the button when I need the extra kick in the ass. :confused:

14. lcarrasco212

lcarrasco212 Well-Known Member

Mind blown

Scott Wyman, bumpedmyhead and OR17TRD like this.
  15. jdr3366

jdr3366 Well-Known Member

ECT was better than no ECT, but I still felt lugging and lack of power at critical times.

When I got my SSP, my first thought at setting 2 was "this is much better." I actually felt a sigh of relief. Setting 3 is even better for me. The truck performs the way it should IMO.

I'm not looking for a big powerful, race truck. Just don't want a whimp.

Lockport93, rdguill and bumpedmyhead like this.
  16. OP
    bumpedmyhead

Thanks for the reply.

17. jdr3366

Welcome. I think it's a worthwhile investment. True, it's not blacked out side mirrors or a 6 inch lift, but probably a better long-term decision.

And I was able to install it on my own. And that's saying something, because I tend to break things when I get into my do it myself mode.

18. OP
    bumpedmyhead

I ordered the SSP today.

Crawdad likes this.
  19. jdr3366

You've made a good decision.

Remember to first watch the instructional video. I placed mine way up under the dash, not on the side of the console. Totally invisible.

Also, remember to unplug it from the computer connection and stuff the plug way back under the dash when you go for Toyota service. Some here have questioned what it might do to the warranty. Nothing, really, IMO; but why get into it.

bumpedmyhead likes this.
  20. TacoRick

TacoRick Well-Known Member

Does the SSP help with the hard downshifts when coming to a stop?

21. jdr3366

Somebody else here might be better qualified to answer.

Personally, I like the feel when downshifting, but I don't do hard.

I'll try it with and without when I go for lunch today.