Wheels, tires, and leveling kit

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by redsman92, Dec 31, 2018.

1. redsman92

redsman92 Member

First time I will be upgrading or buying wheels and tires so I have absoloulty no clue what I need or have to do.

I would love to get some recommendations on leveling kits and a good wheel brand or set. I can do tires on my own but when it comes to putting it all together I really don’t know. I’m really just looking for an off road look. I’m not out hopping rocks or anything but something that could take some beach driving and some pretty nasty snow and mud just due to where I live. I really don’t want anything crazy, just something that gets me a couple inches of clearance and looks good. It’s a 2014 Tacoma access cab 4x4. Thanks I advance.

tony45 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Get some Bilstein 5100 front shocks and some eibach or ome lift coils, not a silly spacer (leveling kit). Then get 5100 rear shocks and pair with a PROGRESSIVE add a leaf. Don't go above 3" in the front unless you want to buy new upper control arms .. and DO NOT waste money on a diff drop.

As for wheels, that's alot of personal preference...

Tires as well.... Duratracs are decent... All terrain compound AND SIPES (so u don't die). with mud looks. Simple size up with or without a lift would be 265/75/16.

Go with load range C.... Anything higher is a waste unless you are offroading in the desert and hitting sharp rocks.

Outlaw79, tony45, TacoBOB77 and 5 others like this.
  4. OP
    redsman92

redsman92 Member

Thanks!!

Outlaw79 and Bojangles like this.
  5. TacoKen

TacoKen Well-Known Member

If you go with 2 1/2" to 3" of lift in front I would highly recommend adjustable upper control arms. This will allow custom alignment. You will be able to get better control of steering with more caster. I have a 3" lift and before adding UCA's steering was ****ty. Then adding the UCA's I was able to add additional caster and thus more control at highway speeds. Lifting and larger tires reduces geometry of the steering and being able to add caster helps a ton. Good luck. I also DO NOT recommend leveling kits (spacers). Waste of time and money.

TacoBOB77, OR17TRD, kp.taco and 2 others like this.
  6. TacoBOB77

TacoBOB77 Well-Known Member

Where were you guys before I got my silly leveling spacer kit lol and upper control arms are on my list for better steering bc of the caster great tip

7. TacoKen

TacoKen Well-Known Member

Been there (leveling kit) and learned from this forum. Best to spend the money up front than to go low tech to save money.

tony45, OR17TRD and Bojangles like this.
  8. Outlaw79

Outlaw79 New Member

What do you think??? Screenshot_20190118-010534.jpeg Screenshot_20190118-010923_Photos.jpeg

9. VBTacoma

VBTacoma Well-Known Member

B-Man likes this.
  10. Deer Guy

Deer Guy Member

I think I'm in love. If I had a truck that nice I would never want to drive it for fear of getting it dirty, scratched or piling on the miles. I think I wpuld just sit in it in the garage with a huge smile on my face.

Crawdad and B-Man like this.
  11. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

*dislike!
    My scratches, dents, crawling underneath at the carwash to douche it real nice and almost 30K after 1.5 years IS what makes me smile! I don't know how many times I've said, "I didn't buy it to stare at it!"

OR17TRD, TacoKen and B-Man like this.
  12. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

DCAA5332-C540-416E-9BC5-BABE047FA921.jpeg

13. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

OR17TRD likes this.