Winch Basics

OffRoadMama

learning more every day
I'm starting to look for a winch and realized I don't know anything. It's all a little overwhelming.
I have a 2011, 4x4, 4 door, trd off road. Looking for self recovery. I can see getting into mud and snow, not ready for taking on bolder yet!
I read I need double my truck weight?
Does it matter if it's mounted off the trailer hitch? (We haven't gotten a good front bumper yet, whole other topic.)
I've read lots of people say Warn, any other good brands or any to avoid?
What's the difference between a normal winch and a self-recovery?
Thanks for your expertise fellas!

Any good brand name is good. Ramsey, Warn, Milemarker, Smitybilt, Superwinch, ect. Double the vehicle weight is a good starting point.

You can mount it on a hitch with a winch cradle. You would need a front hitch to winch from the front. There are also hidden winch mounts available as well.

Self recovery just means that you are getting yourself out. In the end a winch is a winch no matter what wording the manufacturer uses.

Last edited:
The most important thing about a winch us the accessories the make kits look on Amazon they have them but a tree strap and snatch block are the most important cuz a snatch block will almost double your pulling power for a real sticky situation u run your tree strap hook the snatch to it and run your winch line back to your truck u get 175% pulling power so a 10000 lbs winch become 17000 lbs winch in theory

Go with smittybuilt I had a 8000 used it for all Linda's of things always preformed and for the price you can't beat it. Ido if they still do but they did offer a lifetime warrantee for a little extra that covered everything.

Back