10 miles in 4wd every month

I think I understand the once a month to keep some lubrication on the gears. What I don't get is why we would need to drive ten miles. Intuitively I might be wrong, but wouldn't the gears rotating a few times get them lubricated? I've gotten in touch with Toyota on another issue about sway control and all they did was quote the manual. If anyone can give insight into why we would need to drive so far in 4WD to keep the gears lubed I'd appreciate it. I bought our Off Road to pull a small camper and light off pavement on vacations, so there may be a month or two that I don't need to drive it at all except to keep the truck in shape. Also I live in a large metro area with the nearest off pavement driving about an hour away.

I guess toyota wants you to drive at least 10 miles in 4wd a month to keep all the gears, and bearings from any lack of lube. They don't care if its all at once or a couple miles 5 different times a month.

I think I understand the once a month to keep some lubrication on the gears. What I don't get is why we would need to drive ten miles. Intuitively I might be wrong, but wouldn't the gears rotating a few times get them lubricated? I've gotten in touch with Toyota on another issue about sway control and all they did was quote the manual. If anyone can give insight into why we would need to drive so far in 4WD to keep the gears lubed I'd appreciate it. I bought our Off Road to pull a small camper and light off pavement on vacations, so there may be a month or two that I don't need to drive it at all except to keep the truck in shape. Also I live in a large metro area with the nearest off pavement driving about an hour away.
Maybe to get the front diff oil to operating temperature and evaporate moisture. You know that milky residue on the bottom of the oil cap when you don't drive long enough to let the engine oil heat up? There might be a similar thing with diff oil.

Maybe to get the front diff oil to operating temperature and evaporate moisture. You know that milky residue on the bottom of the oil cap when you don't drive long enough to let the engine oil heat up? There might be a similar thing with diff oil.
You have a point, but for some reason i only saw that milky fluid from my later tundra when doing the first front differential fluid change. I never had a habit of following toyotas recommendation of using 4wd 10 miles a month, but all later fluid changes of that differential were fine even when not driven in 4wd for several months. I'm just wondering if its only till the first fluid change from these trucks sitting till sold then driven by its owner you see that milky fluid. I always used amsoil severe 75w90 gear oil. Idk what quality gear oil is used, or if toyota use's a break in additive with it also.

^That milky residue builds up at the highest point in the engine (i.e. under the oil cap). The equivalent location in the front diff would be the roof of the clamshell, which isn't visible.

Back