1st Gen - Weird Audio Rattle - Need Some Input

Mark Ermis

All,

I recently installed a new audio system in my '97 SR5 Extended Cab Automatic 4x4. I have a specific problem with the rear speakers that I was unsuccessful in resolving yesterday.

This system has a separate subwoofer under the passenger seat, so I'm only running some of the bass through the four regular speakers.

However, on both rear sides, when the bass is turned up high, there is a rattle that sounds like it's coming from up high inside the body. It's located behind the rear pop-out window, up near the corner where the side rounds up onto the roof.

I remove both rear side panels and cleaned and applied Kilmat sound deadening mat inside the speaker openings on the body panels as part of an ongoing project to soundproof the cab. I spent a bunch of time trying to locate that rattle while the sides were open, but could not identify what is rattling. It almost sounds like it could be under the headliner in the corner, but I declined to try to remove it, as the truck is old and most things I take apart just end up needing additional repair to reinstall. I got my hand up in there but could feel nothing loose. In general this truck is in really good condition, and I can see no indication that body work has been done in this area.

After the soundproofing, I reinstalled the foam inserts that I assume are stock, and made sure that every fastener and clip was tight. Still rattles and it makes my brand new Kickers sound like 25 year old rotted out stock paper cones.

I find it hard to believe that I am the first person to experience this problem, and would like some input from others about how they solved this issue. Has anyone tried spray foam to try to tighten it up, as was suggested by some people? I think that has a small chance of working, but a large chance of making it way harder to find the problem if it doesn't. I also think that there is a good chance that the foam would squirt up above the headliner and screw that up. There is no way to access that area regardless of removing the headliner anyway I think.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Happy Holidays y'all.

Back