2017 tacoma transmission trouble

John Scerbo

I recently saw an article where a woman purchased a 2017 tacoma she stated she was parking it she put it in park and the vehicle lunged foward into a brick wall and did 7k in damage to the new truck. She is blaming it on the vehicle not driver error. What does everyone think b.s. or not??????

Driver error just like the acceleration issues. They will scan the data from the ECU and see what gear position she was in when it happened.

I have problems with the truck reving up and wanting to surge forward the dealer said it was normal. The other trouble I had was the automatic transmission shifting to a lower gear then not going back. The did an update and both troubles seem to have gone. It's only been one day so I am still waiting to see if it changes.

Last edited:
Lots of us have been having tranny issues. Some have been dealing with it for years. Petrw... What update did you have done?
TSB-0077-16?

Last edited:
My new 2017 TRD OR 4x4 auto starts and if you put it to gear immediately it can lunge a bit. With mine just wait 2-3 seconds and it's fine. It starts up with high revs and then settles.

I have 2017 trd 4x4. I'm not too sure if mine is also Tranny problem. Every time when I put it on wd, and there is up hill. Before I could accelerate my truck will backed up a little making some kind of sound from transmission.

I'm also experiencing the same issues with my 2016 automatic 4x4 TRD sport. When shifting it to reverse from park from a cold start the idle surges! It happens every time. I called Toyota customer service and tomorrow I will be taking into the dealership. I've already had 1 update on my transmission to solve the lag issue I used to experience shifting from reverse to drive and that update solved that issue.

Hi...new member here. We bought our 2017 TRD Sport (2WD / Auto) last November, have about 3K miles on it. Recently, on the first drive of the day when it shifts from 1st to 2nd the tranny drops out for a moment, engine revs a bit, then it shifts into 2nd. Doesn't lunge, doesn't seem to have any other issues. And...doesn't seem to do it again after the very first shift. Once you stop (even within a block), start back up, all is well.

Anyone else experience something like that?

Hi...new member here. We bought our 2017 TRD Sport (2WD / Auto) last November, have about 3K miles on it. Recently, on the first drive of the day when it shifts from 1st to 2nd the tranny drops out for a moment, engine revs a bit, then it shifts into 2nd. Doesn't lunge, doesn't seem to have any other issues. And...doesn't seem to do it again after the very first shift. Once you stop (even within a block), start back up, all is well.

Anyone else experience something like that?

Sounds like low fluid.

Back